Upgrade problem....

I've just added a Lite-on CDRW/DVD drive to my Dell 2400.

All is fine - apart from one small problem....

The sound connector on the motherboard is aboul 50% larger than the
connector on the lead, with the pins spaced correspondingly wider.

Is there some kind of convertor I can get hold of, cos I want to hear
my DVDs and CDs?
--

Cheers!
Fr Jack

"Fr Jack" <sp@mtrap.com> wrote in message
> I've just added a Lite-on CDRW/DVD drive to my Dell 2400.
>
> All is fine - apart from one small problem....
>
> The sound connector on the motherboard is aboul 50% larger than the
> connector on the lead, with the pins spaced correspondingly wider.
>
> Is there some kind of convertor I can get hold of, cos I want to hear
> my DVDs and CDs?
> --
>
> Cheers!
> Fr Jack
> 96 Tiger.
> FRJACKUKRM AT GMAIL DOT COM

I've heard some say that Dell motherboards use some non-standard connectors
and that seems to be the case here. If no one has a lead for you, maybe Dell
might have one or could tell you where to get it. Possibly check with the
drive mfr might too-- as they don't want to lose Dell computer owners as
customers.

Ike

Fixer

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

connectors
on to fit both types of connection your local PC shop should be able to
supply you with the correct one
"Ira Hayes" <redmanospam@xxxhotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Fr Jack" <sp@mtrap.com> wrote in message
>> I've just added a Lite-on CDRW/DVD drive to my Dell 2400.
>>
>> All is fine - apart from one small problem....
>>
>> The sound connector on the motherboard is aboul 50% larger than the
>> connector on the lead, with the pins spaced correspondingly wider.
>>
>> Is there some kind of convertor I can get hold of, cos I want to hear
>> my DVDs and CDs?
>> --
>>
>> Cheers!
>> Fr Jack
>> 96 Tiger.
>> FRJACKUKRM AT GMAIL DOT COM
>
> I've heard some say that Dell motherboards use some non-standard
> connectors and that seems to be the case here. If no one has a lead for
> you, maybe Dell might have one or could tell you where to get it. Possibly
> check with the drive mfr might too-- as they don't want to lose Dell
> computer owners as customers.
>
> Ike

Fixer

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

Ohjh also as a sencond thought though i might be wrong here and if I am I'm
sure I will be corrected but I think possible that this is one of the models
where the sound is carried down the IDE cable and so no extra sound cable is
required, check your settings on the sound module and see that the AUX
control slider is up and not muted
"Ira Hayes" <redmanospam@xxxhotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Fr Jack" <sp@mtrap.com> wrote in message
>> I've just added a Lite-on CDRW/DVD drive to my Dell 2400.
>>
>> All is fine - apart from one small problem....
>>
>> The sound connector on the motherboard is aboul 50% larger than the
>> connector on the lead, with the pins spaced correspondingly wider.
>>
>> Is there some kind of convertor I can get hold of, cos I want to hear
>> my DVDs and CDs?
>> --
>>
>> Cheers!
>> Fr Jack
>> 96 Tiger.
>> FRJACKUKRM AT GMAIL DOT COM
>
> I've heard some say that Dell motherboards use some non-standard
> connectors and that seems to be the case here. If no one has a lead for
> you, maybe Dell might have one or could tell you where to get it. Possibly
> check with the drive mfr might too-- as they don't want to lose Dell
> computer owners as customers.
>
> Ike

You're right. You don't need the cable at all.

Tom
"Fixer" <steve@kelly90.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Ohjh also as a sencond thought though i might be wrong here and if I am
> I'm sure I will be corrected but I think possible that this is one of the
> models where the sound is carried down the IDE cable and so no extra sound
> cable is required, check your settings on the sound module and see that
> the AUX control slider is up and not muted
> "Ira Hayes" <redmanospam@xxxhotmail.com> wrote in message
>> "Fr Jack" <sp@mtrap.com> wrote in message
>>> I've just added a Lite-on CDRW/DVD drive to my Dell 2400.
>>>
>>> All is fine - apart from one small problem....
>>>
>>> The sound connector on the motherboard is aboul 50% larger than the
>>> connector on the lead, with the pins spaced correspondingly wider.
>>>
>>> Is there some kind of convertor I can get hold of, cos I want to hear
>>> my DVDs and CDs?
>>> --
>>>
>>> Cheers!
>>> Fr Jack
>>> 96 Tiger.
>>> FRJACKUKRM AT GMAIL DOT COM
>>
>> I've heard some say that Dell motherboards use some non-standard
>> connectors and that seems to be the case here. If no one has a lead for
>> you, maybe Dell might have one or could tell you where to get it.
>> Possibly check with the drive mfr might too-- as they don't want to lose
>> Dell computer owners as customers.
>>
>> Ike

Not needed. Uses digital sound not analog sound.

"Fr Jack" <sp@mtrap.com> wrote in message
> I've just added a Lite-on CDRW/DVD drive to my Dell 2400.
>
> All is fine - apart from one small problem....
>
> The sound connector on the motherboard is aboul 50% larger than the
> connector on the lead, with the pins spaced correspondingly wider.
>
> Is there some kind of convertor I can get hold of, cos I want to hear
> my DVDs and CDs?
> --
>
> Cheers!
> Fr Jack
> 96 Tiger.
> FRJACKUKRM AT GMAIL DOT COM

and the beauty of it is that if you have more than one cd drive you can hear
sound from any of them and not just the one with the analog connector
between it and the sound card.

> Not needed. Uses digital sound not analog sound.
>
> "Fr Jack" <sp@mtrap.com> wrote in message
>> I've just added a Lite-on CDRW/DVD drive to my Dell 2400.
>>
>> All is fine - apart from one small problem....
>>
>> The sound connector on the motherboard is aboul 50% larger than the
>> connector on the lead, with the pins spaced correspondingly wider.
>>
>> Is there some kind of convertor I can get hold of, cos I want to hear
>> my DVDs and CDs?
>> --
>>
>> Cheers!
>> Fr Jack
>> 96 Tiger.
>> FRJACKUKRM AT GMAIL DOT COM

He may need to turn on digital sound.
Controlpanel/hardware/devicemanager/device properties/
properties/click digital sound.

> and the beauty of it is that if you have more than one cd drive you
> can hear sound from any of them and not just the one with the analog
> connector between it and the sound card.
>
> "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Not needed. Uses digital sound not analog sound.
>>
>> "Fr Jack" <sp@mtrap.com> wrote in message
>>> I've just added a Lite-on CDRW/DVD drive to my Dell 2400.
>>>
>>> All is fine - apart from one small problem....
>>>
>>> The sound connector on the motherboard is aboul 50% larger than the
>>> connector on the lead, with the pins spaced correspondingly wider.
>>>
>>> Is there some kind of convertor I can get hold of, cos I want to
>>> hear
>>> my DVDs and CDs?
>>> --
>>>
>>> Cheers!