Upgrade proposal....

benjaminosauras

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
Hey guys,

I'm looking to upgrade my PC as it's that time of year....

Currently on a E8400 on standard clock speed, I do have an aftermarket cooler spare. But I'm not overly comfortable with safely overclocking, or how to go about it.

I'm running a HD5700 which I only picked up earlier this year.

Just want to know your guys/gals thoughts on where to go from here. Mainly looking at Skyrim as my marker...

Any help would be great.

x

l0ckd0wn

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
For skyrim or any of the newer games out or coming out, video card is probably the biggest component to offer performance increases.

I, personally, gave up on ATI a while ago and only buy their products when putting them into an AMD box (since the companies are now 1 and the same). Nvidia is my go-to for vid cards, but from the looks of the card you bought, you are probably already in good shape.

I know BF3s baseline component recommendations start at the Geforce 560 GTX, which is actually at a decent price point being right around $200 US.

Other than that you haven't listed MOBO, memory or HDD setup. You could also gain some decrease in loading time if you were to upgrade to a SSD, or if your mobo supports SSD caching you could just add the drive to your setup to increase performance.

Without more info it's hard to gauge what else you could do.

benjaminosauras

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
Thanks for the reply.

I've got a ASUS P5Q Pro. 750GB Samsung F1 Spinpoint and 6 GB DDR2 (can't remember what model exactly, it's not budget though).

Do you think I should go down the Nvidia route? Or go for the Mobo/CPU/RAM combo.

I don't really want to shell out for a full system just before christmas, just want to update here and there.