Question Upgrade PSU for Dell XPS 8300

geoffbates

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2012
I have an aging XPS 8300 which has been upgraded over the years. I am trying to replace the AMD Radeon HD 6700 video card with an Arez Expedition Radeon RX570 to run my 3 monitors; I believe the 6700 is overheating and locking up the system. The original DELL PSU has only a six-pin VGA connector, whereas the Arez requires 8-pin.

I am willing to replace the PSU with a more up-to-date one with the required connectors. What is my best choice? How do I even tell what will fit?

Thank you

Jun 12, 2019
Hi, Punkncat is right. I have a Dell XPS 8300 as well and I did buy a Radeon RX 570 and it doesn’t work. PC just won’t boot. After lots of research, what happens is that BIOS is limited to a whitelist of GPUs. I’m trying to work around the problem, but most likely I will have to change the GPU. Apparently GeForce GT and GTX 10xx cards are whitelisted.
So my advice to you (I am not a pro or whatsoever) as a regular user is to not buy that awesome GPU for this computer.

Reactions: punkncat

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
In regards to this, it will be locked to three specific models that Dell offered for sale. Nothing else will work with that motherboard.

You could attempt to find a motherboard that will fit the case and the form factor, but as I recall they also made that non standard. My suggestion would be to see if you could locate a used PC with a decent motherboard and case using something like a second gen i5 and swap your proc in.
At the time that I ran into this issue some years ago now, it was more difficult finding something like that to suit my needs than it was to buy and build a whole new system.
The i7 chip should still sell on the used market for a few dollars, but that window is rapidly closing with age and the ready abundance of inexpensive and capable AMD Ryzen 1st gen chips.