Upgrade PSU for Nvidia GTX 960 or not?

G

I have a prebuilt pc with the following specs and I want to know if I NEED to upgrade my PSU in order to use the Nvidia GTX 960. I'd prefer not to because I'm on a budget but I'd like to know.
I currently have a 460 watt power supply.
Dell's website says: 460W, optional 80 PLUS Bronze, 85% efficient (Don't exactly know what that means, the 85% efficent and 80 plus bronze.)
PC Model: Dell XPS 8700
Specs:
Processor: Intel i7 4790 3.6Ghz
Graphics card: NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 720 1GB DDR3 but I want to upgrade to the GTX 960
RAM: 12GB DDR3 (2x4GB, 2x2GB)
Hard drive: 1TB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive 6.0 Gb/s
Optical Drive: 16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW), write to CD/DVD
If you have any other inquiries leave a message down below.

Cioby

Distinguished
Normally, you shouldn't but with your powerful CPU and the fact that we don't know what PSU you have, you might have to, just to be safe.
Your GPU requires a 400W PSU but I doubt you would be able to OC your CPU or run with the new GPU. I had a OCZ 650W and I still had issues powering a 780 + i7-4770k OC

As said, we need a make and model of PSU or failing that, a picture of the power-specification label (wattage, ampere and voltage).

The OEM GTX 960 has a TDP of 120W, so that's the maximum amount of power it will draw from the PSU. Third-party vendors such as MSI, Gigabyte, etc. may be higher. You also need to consider the amount of PCI power connectors that the card will require, as most OEM PSUs don't have any at all.

G

Label on the power supply: http://i.imgur.com/ItNHybF.jpg

tech-wreck

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
that won't cut it. 18A @ 12v is 216w (unless i cant maths or physic) not including component degradation, and an OC'd 960 would probably overload it, hello shutdown.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Look again, theres 3 12v rails.

one with 18 amps (216w)
one with 16 amps (192w)
one with 8 amps (96w)

The 960 only uses about 120w max, so it should be fine.

G

So as long as my power supply has a 6 pin PCI connector it'll be fine?

GTX 960 with only 6 pin power connector was reported working on XPS 8100 with 350 watt PSU without any difficulties, and XPS 8700 has 460 watt, which is good, by the way, for GTX 970.

According to official Dell, current XPS 460 watt PSU is good for 225 watt GPU, so nothing to worry here.

To others with dreams of overclocking - XPS 8700 has locked BIOS and can not be overclocked by regular means, only software and only unlocked processors, so nothing can be done in current situation.

G

Thanks for the feedback mate. Will be purchasing a GTX 960 soon. Anyways what does happen if you use a PSU that doesn't have enough watts? Does it just fry the PSU or does it do other damage to other parts?

G

Alright thanks to everyone for helping me out. I'll be giving the GTX 960 a go. Just one last question.
What does happen if you use a PSU that doesn't have enough watts? Does it just fry the PSU or does it do other damage to other parts?
Anyways thanks again.

Nothing will be fried, during heavy GPU usage, like games, if it is not enough power, PC will shot down, or game will crash, it depends.

TRENDING THREADS