Upgrade PSU on ASUS motherboard

sundial03

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
I am trying to upgrade my factory PSU (300W max) with a new Corsair RM850W and I am a novice, so I am running into a little trouble (even after becoming an expert by using You-Tube :)) My current PSU has an 8-pin connector and a 4-pin connector coming out of it. That is all. There is no 20 or 24 pin power slot on my motherboard. Just an 8-pin slot on the main rail and a 4-pin slot near the GPU. That is really it. I started this exercise because I wanted to upgrade my current GPU which is the GTX 650 up to the GTX 770i, which requires MORE POWER...Please Help!

Very non standard!!

Two options:

1. try plugging in the 4 and 8 pin power leads that you do have. Most plugs are keyed to fit only one way so if they fit, they should do the job.

2. Back off the GTX770 upgrade in favor of a slightly slower GTX750ti that is very power efficient and should run on 300w.

That or change the motherboard (Which may require a new case), or do a DIY hack to have the new PSU only power the GPU (not recommended).

sundial03

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013

I tried plugging in the leads that I have and I got nothing. They fit, just no response from the motherboard LED or any other. I did the paperclip test on the PSU with a fan and it worked fine. Very frustrating.