Question Upgrade question dell xps 8700

techIntraining

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2011
The graphics card that came with my system is starting to have problems. Its a nvidia 635.

I found similar topics about this saying the gtx 1060 will work for the system.

However, my situation is different. Im not looking to get the max graphics output for the system.

I simply want to upgrade at a reasonable price.

At most $120.

Can someone recommend a card that works that is a reasonable able price?

Thank you

Dell like EVERY other company has some good enough and some bad PSUs. But the very best of them are mediocre when compared to what you find in the market.
That specific PSU is not bad from what I saw but still, I would not risk my "new" GPU with a somewhat questionable PSU. It's afterall the heart of the system.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
Dell like EVERY other company has some good enough and some bad PSUs. But the very best of them are mediocre when compared to what you find in the market.
That specific PSU is not bad from what I saw but still, I would not risk my "new" GPU with a somewhat questionable PSU. It's afterall the heart of the system.

Some and some ? is this how you give advice by guessing ? how about looking at the power supply inside DELL 8700 before judging ?

And you know nothing about power supplies inside Dell from delta .. and no they are not mediocre.

it is a good power supply . and there no risk here .

I did check the PSU that's why I said: "That specific PSU is not bad from what I saw ". Are you a representative of Dell and I offended your PSUs? The reality is that Dell does not only have one kind of PSUs. They used to have them made by Foxtron and Hipro if I am not mistaken. They do have somewhat decent quality but again, the market has way better PSUs to offer.

Joseph_138

Distinguished
I just bought a GTX 970 for under a hundred dollars. You have to be careful, though. There are shady sellers on ebay selling unbranded cards that are not what they appear to be. They flash junk cards to identify as a newer or higher end card than they actually are. It used to be that you could remove the cooler from the card to see what you actually got, but the scammers are getting smarter and polishing the top of the GPU die so that the factory markings are no longer there.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
I did check the PSU that's why I said: "That specific PSU is not bad from what I saw ". Are you a representative of Dell and I offended your PSUs? The reality is that Dell does not only have one kind of PSUs. They used to have them made by Foxtron and Hipro if I am not mistaken. They do have somewhat decent quality but again, the market has way better PSUs to offer.

dont advice people to pay money when it is not needed. 8700 XPS line is not a cheap line in Dell PCs. and it wont fry any GPU ... it will work fine upto RTX 2070 by the way.

When did I advise spending money when it was not needed? Maybe you were somewhere confused trying to protect the precious Dell PSUs.
I only said:
you might want to check your PSU first. if it's as old as the 635 and if it was only able to power the 635 or similar cards, then you need to replace it as well.

I was being cautious not to suggest a gpu without considering if the PSU was good enough.

End of story.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
Wattage means nothing. The quality of all the prebuilt PSUs is mediocre at the VERY best. Age degradation is also something to consider since 600 series released 8 years ago.

Wattage means nothing :unsure: I won't even comment on that. Those units in an 8700 are pretty solid and if he sticks to a GPU that draws less than 150W, he should be well within any degradation that might have happened with age.

it will work fine upto RTX 2070 by the way.

Definitely not, those are both out of his budget and would push the capacity of his power supply. Honestly, I wouldn't put a 2070 RTX on anything less than a 500W they range from a max of 175W to 225W depending on if it's a stock reference or an overclocked version. 🤷‍♂️

RX 570 "Harder to find"
970 GTX with 2 X 6pins or 1X 8Pin " Easier to find"
1060 3GB $98 or 6GB "Harder to find"

I've checked forums and hardware swap.. there isn't much out there right now. 😕

970used.jpg

On the new side
GTX 1650 low profile $141
That is from Amazon which you can spend a day doing surveys on Swagbucks and knock off $25 with an Amazon gift card. Use a fake email and just lie to keep the surveys going. ;)

techIntraining

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2011
I appreciate the input guys. Lately my computer crashes when playing any game. I dont play many games much less top of the line games. I just need a new card, and wqs trying to get something better and affordable. I have a family. So not trying to spend a lot during holidays.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
I appreciate the input guys. Lately my computer crashes when playing any game. I dont play many games much less top of the line games. I just need a new card, and wqs trying to get something better and affordable. I have a family. So not trying to spend a lot during holidays.
I understand that but unfortunately, nothing new under $150 is still being manufactured and used cards are hot with everyone being stuck at home on and off for months now. 😕

So that leaves you with something like which is still overpriced.
ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 OC 3GB used $98

Would you prefer something cheap to test that there is nothing else wrong with the system?

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
Definitely not, those are both out of his budget and would push the capacity of his power supply. Honestly, I wouldn't put a 2070 RTX on anything less than a 500W they range from a max of 175W to 225W depending on if it's a stock reference or an overclocked version. 🤷‍♂️

RX 570 "Harder to find"
970 GTX with 2 X 6pins or 1X 8Pin " Easier to find"
1060 3GB $98 or 6GB "Harder to find"

I've checked forums and hardware swap.. there isn't much out there right now

You are wrong . his system total power draw with RTX 2070 will not go over 350 watts what so ever.

techIntraining

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2011
Delaro I appreciate your help a lot. I would have purchased the 1060 for $98 but I did not see it on ebay for less then $150.

If I could find ANY card better then the one I had for less then $120 I would buy it asap.