seagatedoge

Distinguished
May 20, 2016
Hi,
For the past eight years I have been using a Dell U2412m monitor. I am wondering the Dell S2721DGF would be a worthwhile upgrade. The monitor is used for gaming, movies, web browsing, reading, and other productivity including artwork. The U2412m has nice colours (I didn't know by how much until I compared to a TN monitor), clear text, and does not hurt my eyes to look at (unlike the TN monitor which I avoided using). It is not optimal for gaming (8ms, 60Hz), but I prefer richer colours over fast response time--but these days I think both can be had with 'fast IPS'. The S2721DGF is not an Ultrasharp monitor, so I am wondering if the picture quality and text clarity would still be at least the same as the U2412m.

The maximum size I would want is 27", and I prefer 16:10 but if the upgrade is there in other respects I don't mind. Another part of the U2412m that I like is that the stand allows the monitor to slide all the way down to match my eye level, and some monitors are prevented from lowering any further.

I am also wondering if it would be better to wait for mini-LED monitors. It seems they would be suitable for the wide range of uses the monitor is intended for. There is no rush to upgrade, but I thought I should ask because I'm not sure how far away mini-LED is and specials are starting to happen. My maximum spend would be $600 (Australia). My GPU is a 1080 and CPU a 3700x.