[SOLVED] Upgrade question

Jul 19, 2021
Hey guys so im planning a cpu upgrade for my pc cause my current cpu is not in his best state.. I have an x370 mother board (crosshair vi hero to be exact) and i dont know if its worth it to spend some extra money to change motherboard and buy the 5800x for around 700€ or just buy the 3950x without a motherboard upgrade for 350 to 450€. Some of you might think that its obvious to wait and spend some extra money just because zen 3 has an incredible ipc improvment over zen 2 but for me to be honest 300€ is not small amount of money for lower cores and 10 to 20 fps 1440p gaming.
Im really interesting to see your thoughts

Solution
Hey guys so im planning a cpu upgrade for my pc cause my current cpu is not in his best state.. I have an x370 mother board (crosshair vi hero to be exact) and i dont know if its worth it to spend some extra money to change motherboard and buy the 5800x for around 700€ or just buy the 3950x without a motherboard upgrade for 350 to 450€. Some of you might think that its obvious to wait and spend some extra money just because zen 3 has an incredible ipc improvment over zen 2 but for me to be honest 300€ is not small amount of money for lower cores and 10 to 20 fps 1440p gaming.

it's better to change the motherboard using a B450 Tomahawk Max or B450M Mortar, or B550 Tomahawk or B550M...

it's better to change the motherboard using a B450 Tomahawk Max or B450M Mortar, or B550 Tomahawk or B550M Mortar. X370 is pretty dated for those cpu, better to grab a better motherboard and a Zen 2 CPUs. Just make sure to reinstall the Chipset driver again when you changed the motherboard :D

Last edited:
Solution

DSzymborski

Titan

Well, given that the Crosshair VI doesn't support Zen 3 at last check, you would definitely need to change the motherboard.

Jul 24, 2021
Hey guys so im planning a cpu upgrade for my pc cause my current cpu is not in his best state.. I have an x370 mother board (crosshair vi hero to be exact) and i dont know if its worth it to spend some extra money to change motherboard and buy the 5800x for around 700€ or just buy the 3950x without a motherboard upgrade for 350 to 450€. Some of you might think that its obvious to wait and spend some extra money just because zen 3 has cinema hd an incredible ipc improvment over zen 2 but for me to be honest 300€ is not small amount of money for lower cores and 10 to 20 fps 1440p gaming.
it's better to change the motherboard using a B450 Tomahawk Max or B450M Mortar, or B550 Tomahawk or B550M Mortar. X370 is pretty dated for those cpu, better to grab a better motherboard and a Zen 2 CPUs. Just make sure to reinstall the Chipset driver again when you changed the motherboard :D
Thanks for the amazing response. I will take these inputs and change the motherboard. You are awesome :D

For gaming there is no reason to pick a 3950x, just get a 3700x/3800x.The extra cores/threads of the 3950x don’t benefit gaming. I’m running a 3700x and 3080 for 1440p 144Hz and it’s a great combo. A 5800x might get a few more FPS but not enough to add anything to the gaming experience.

TRENDING THREADS