Upgrade Questions and bottleneck?

FFedora

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
Hi, im going too upgrade from a 8800Gt to a 260GTX but when I ask about it the staff say a E6400 would bottleneck it.

Now I've read around and people are saying that this is not a problem for most if only the old of the old CPUs.

Im playing the all the new games (not crysis though) all on High setting AA and all on 1920x1080 res.

So would i have a problem with this or not, dont feel all to sure about spending 350 so on a Q9xxx to find out i dont need it.

Sorry if this should be in CPU but hell, its got to do with both eh? (All stock clocks on a P35 mobo)

lucuis

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008

It shouldn't because you play on such a high resolution, but a small overclock will most likely eliminate any issue of bottlenecking.

FFedora

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
Huh well they seem very sure that a e6400 Will bottleneck and im starting to get lower fps on some of my newer games like Tf2 or Mirrors Edge. So a 260GTX would run fine, i could OC the cpu but i haven't though of doing that. Thanks for replying.

FFedora

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
Well if any1 else thinks different ill go get me a 260 and psu in a few days. I kind feel like I'm getting scammed almost.

well, to test if you have a cpu bottleneck (after you get the card and psu) run one of your games with the fps showing and then overclock the cpu by a marginal amount, if the fps went up in a marginal amount, then you ave a cpu bottleneck, though if it doesn't, then you don't

also you could keep overclocking until there is no difference in fps, then you would be fine

FFedora

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009

Well they wanted to do it the other way CPU then the card but I think it sounds more logical to go card first. I know the owner and he trys to sell you a CPU mobo combo every time you walk In the door... Thanks Mindless and matronix for the helpful posts. So best to get the card, check for bottle neck then buy a CPU first? Sorry if I'm asking over again but I respect the owner and what he says but it sounded wired when he reccomened what he did. Proberly just flogging more stuff.

@ FfeDora: To a point he is correct, the CPU is going to restrict the performance of a GTX260, just not enough to justify a CPU upgrade. And speaking of which, if yours is an older 775 'board, it may not be compatable with the newer Wolfdale and Yorkfield units anyway-More expense for even less gain.
Stick with tyhe GTX260 and take a look into overclocking the processor, the Conroe CPUs' are well known for their high overclocks, mine went to 3.2GHz on stock voltage and cooling (not recommended, I was just playing around).

^ And exactly how will that help FfeDora to assess which GPU is 'ideal' for him?
It's obvious the 8800GT is n't enough and the only way he could analyse the performance of another card is to install it!

No cozzie what S/S is saying is test the CPU first, by checking FPS with all the graphics details and resolution turned down you are in fact simulating putting a faster card into the machine, especially as FfeDora runs at a high res any way he has a good chance of seeing where the CPU starts to struggle, if it does.
@ FfeDora
Do it incrementally. Start with your system as you use it now and use Fraps (free download) etc to check FPS, make a save in a game and run for say 30 sec's and take a rough average.
Turn down all the graphics settings A/A and A/F literally everything make sure all settings in the control panel is set for performance.
Run the same test again and record any gains in FPS.
Next drop a resolution and test again, drop res again and test again.
When the FPS stop increasing you have found the limit of the CPU.
If you see little or no gains then you definitely need a new CPU.

When you think you have found the limit of the CPU if you just turn the Graphics settings up slightly you should see either a slight increase in FPS or no difference. This just confirms that the GPU can run better settings which is just double checking that its the CPU and not the GPU that is limiting factor.

As you already know you want a new GPU we are mainly only interested in checking the CPU and what S/S said and i have elaborated on is the easiest way of checking. Then you will know if you want a faster CPU anyway. If you don't fancy testing that's fine also and just buying the GPU and testing it when its in is valid as well, just means if it does turn out the CPU is holding you back it means another trip to the shops.

Mactronix :)

FFedora

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
Ok well seeing how I haven't got any thing yet I'll try and see if I can find the CPU limit. Think I can use the steam game graphics stress tester? Anyway thanks matronix I'll post back later.

FFedora

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
Used mirrors edge and fraps and it seems to stop at 62 - 64 FPS from a of Avg: 31.562 - Min: 0 - Max: 45 1920x1080 all on high AAx8 to all low 800x600 62.119 - Min: 61 - Max: 63

FFedora

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
VAlve Orange box SDK stress test first with all on high every thing gave 89 at 1920x1080

1920x1080 all low 111 fps average
1600x900 low 107 fps average

Ok so with this test did you go lower with the res and if so was the number lower still or about the same ?
Just from these three numbers it would seem that at 1920x1080 with all on high the GPU is your limiting factor as the FPS is 89 yet when you turn the details down with all on low the card has less to do so can render frames faster and the CPU can keep up with this new demand as your FPS go up to 111.
89-111 is a sizable step but 111-107 isn't which is why I'm wondering what happens at a lower still res ? If its still similar or a bit lower then you know that for this test your CPU max's out at around 111 fps. Which =19.5% gain in FPS (22 frames). That is only on the one test though and in mirrors edge your only getting around 7% increase. but then the numbers do look kinda weird on that test.

Anyway from what i have seen so far i would say your CPU will handle the upgrade ok and you still have the option of overclocking the CPU for more performance. Personally i would get the card and retest it to see how the CPU is handling it, then OC if needed. Only if the results are really disappointing would i consider upgrading.

Mactronix

FFedora

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
Thank you Mactronix for your help and every one else. Hope there is no fuss getting them to just install the card and psu. Any brand you prefer, i was looking a a Inno3D GF GTX 260+ or just a normal one to OC later...

Depends on the price really, Its not guaranteed that a standard card will OC at all never mind well. It is possible while unlikely that you could get a standard card that would actually perform worse after being overclocked.
The extra you pay for a pre overclocked card is the gaurantee that it will run with the advertised clocks. A lot of standard cards can easily run the same and faster clocks but its a bit of a lottery as to what performance gains you may or may not get.

Mactronix

FFedora

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
Well ill have to update the whole system sometime but some games are starting to slow down and lag a bit (tf2) and have a card for future games.

Latest posts