[SOLVED] Upgrade Questions

DarianDB

Prominent
Aug 9, 2020
Howdy, so I wield very little knoweldge on what works with what and what's best to put in so I thought here would be the best place to ask for help.

I've got Cyberpunk 2077 on preorder but from what I can tell my computer won't be able to play it as well as I'd like, it seems that the best way to go about upgrading would be a new GPU and/or motherboard but I'm not too sure.

My current kit is:
GPU: AMD R9 390
CPU: Intel i7-6700
Motherboard: Asus H170-PLUS D3
Memory: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 C9 2x8GB

My budget isn't very high so I can't exactly spend 2k on a new 2080 so please keep that in mind. Also if you could suggest something that does well with cooling that'd be appreciated, high temps have been a problem with my 390.

Cheers

Solution
I'm willing to spend up to $500 on parts, can't really go beyond that

Thanks!

$500's not enough to upgrade both the platform (which in this case means new RAM as well) and the GPU, so at this point, I think I'd wait to see Cyberpunk benchmarks, especially since new GPUs are coming out and that will likely have a positive effect on pricing. That way, you can see how core count affects performance relative to how better GPUs affect performance (a 390 is slightly less powerful than a 1650 Super).

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I'm willing to spend up to $500 on parts, can't really go beyond that

Thanks!

$500's not enough to upgrade both the platform (which in this case means new RAM as well) and the GPU, so at this point, I think I'd wait to see Cyberpunk benchmarks, especially since new GPUs are coming out and that will likely have a positive effect on pricing. That way, you can see how core count affects performance relative to how better GPUs affect performance (a 390 is slightly less powerful than a 1650 Super).

Solution