[SOLVED] Upgrade R9 270X to RX580 on FX8320? Is it worth it?

Jan 5, 2019
Dear experts,

I would like to upgrade my PC a bit and hope that you can help me. Meanwhile I suffer from missing graphic details. I am playing titles like CoH2, Civ6, XCOM2 or ESO. Average FPS in CoH2 with MAX details is below 30 FPS. ESO is not playable with FULL details.
I am bound to 1080p due to my monitor, which is ok though, as I do not plan to play the latest games as of now and 1080p with sufficient FPS on MAX details would make me happy already.

My system specs are as follows:

AMD FX-8320
Sapphire Toxic R9 270X Boost, 2GB DDR5
8GB-Kit G-Skill RipJaws PC3-12800U CL9
ASUS M5A97 EVO R2.0
BitFenix Shinobi
Thermaltake Hamburg 530W
LG IPS235P (LCD Monitor 1920 x 1080)

My idea was to simply purchase a new RX580 with 8GB. However, when browsing through the forums I always see that it all depends. On the titles I play, the screen resolution, the CPU, which might be my bottleneck as well, etc.

Also I do not OC at the moment. I tried it some time ago with up to 4 GHz, which is nothing that is too exhausting for this CPU from what I read in several OC threads, but after a while my PC did not start anymore instantly and several restarts became necessary more often.
Due to the fact that this behaviour did not occur initially after my OC settings but only after a while, I thought that something got broken and reset everything to default. Now the PC starts as expected.

It would be great to hear your thoughts.. maybe my simpliest idea was not too bad and the bottleneck through the CPU is acceptable.

Thanks!

Solution
You should be good to go for the RX 580. I'd worry about bottlenecking with anything more powerful than that. The RX 580 is slightly more than twice the performance of your current video card so you should notice a good boost in performance. For 1080p gaming the RX 580 is great. You should have no problem cranking those settings to the max and getting well over 30 FPS on all games, and the chances you'll stay above 60 are pretty darn good.

As for your CPU, it should be enough to be balanced with the RX 580.
You should be good to go for the RX 580. I'd worry about bottlenecking with anything more powerful than that. The RX 580 is slightly more than twice the performance of your current video card so you should notice a good boost in performance. For 1080p gaming the RX 580 is great. You should have no problem cranking those settings to the max and getting well over 30 FPS on all games, and the chances you'll stay above 60 are pretty darn good.

As for your CPU, it should be enough to be balanced with the RX 580.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS