Question Upgrade RAM DDR3 with error

Mar 17, 2019
Hi guys, I'd like to ask your help on this issue.

I have a relatively old pc, with the specs below, and I've recently upgraded my RAM. I've had two sticks of 4gb Corsair Vengeance's 1600Mhz RAM, and I wanted to double that to 16gb.
I've managed to find the same RAM (brand, model, size, frequency, latency) but with a different PN (seen on the image below). The old ones are the black, on the bottom of the photo and the new ones are the blue, on top.
92162153_073c317c-b9f6-4865-92c6-756f659628ac.jpg

As soon as I assembled the additional sticks on the free mobo slots, my pc failed to boot. I've had the old RAMs in the 1st and 3rd slot, and the new ones on the 2nd and 4th slots. My pc would turn on for about 3 secs, and restart over and over.
I've tried inverting the slots, so the old ones went to 2nd and 4th and the new ones to 1st and 3rd. PC was able to turn on and boot successfully.

However, after booting, I checked CPU-Z and the latencies were different from the old and new sets of RAM (unfortunately I don't have the screenshot atm), even though the sticks on both says the same latency, as well as the BIOS.
I've stress tested the computer, with multiple tabs on chrome and some games, ran smoothly until first BSOD with the error "memory management". I've tried again, and while playing Overwatch and Apex Legends I've had many crashes, BSODs and once the PC simply shut off.
I've tried re positioning the ram sticks again, but same booting error.

I've now removed the new set of RAMs and am running with just the old ones. Again, back to normal, no crashes, stuttering or BSODs.
I'd like to know what I should to in order to fix this, because I'd really like to keep the upgraded RAM, because many times I have to close Chrome in order to play, because it + the game demands so much RAM and my game stutters.
Will gladly provide more info if needed.

Thanks!

My specs:
CPU: Core i7-4770k 3,4GHz
GPU: GeForce GTX 1060 6gb
MOBO: Gigabyte Z87M-D3

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Mixing ram can be a crap shoot. It might be possible to get them running together with bit of tinkering.

In the bios, do you know if XMP is enabled with your original ram? If not enabled, try enable XMP. If XMP is enabled try disable it and enter the the timings manually.

Source: https://www.overclock.net/forum/8-intel-general/1467759-help-setting-gigabyte-ram-timings.html
140112011912_zps30516824.png

Change memory timings mode to advanced manual. Apply the top 4 timings values of your ram. Scroll down the list to find Command rate and set it to 2T.

Dram voltage 1.5v or 1.55v.

What bios revision are you running? F10 has improved DDR compatibility. Could be the difference. Try manually set ram timings etc first.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z87M-D3H-rev-1x#support-dl-bios

Mar 17, 2019
Mixing ram can be a crap shoot. It might be possible to get them running together with bit of tinkering.

In the bios, do you know if XMP is enabled with your original ram? If not enabled, try enable XMP. If XMP is enabled try disable it and enter the the timings manually.

Source: https://www.overclock.net/forum/8-intel-general/1467759-help-setting-gigabyte-ram-timings.html
140112011912_zps30516824.png

Change memory timings mode to advanced manual. Apply the top 4 timings values of your ram. Scroll down the list to find Command rate and set it to 2T.

Dram voltage 1.5v or 1.55v.

What bios revision are you running? F10 has improved DDR compatibility. Could be the difference. Try manually set ram timings etc first.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z87M-D3H-rev-1x#support-dl-bios
Hey, thanks for the suggestion.

I've installed back the new sticks and went to BIOS to check what you said.. Already was on XMP as "Profile 1", disabled it and activated again.
The timings on the RAM are already 9-9-9-24, for both RAMs (which are the times specified in the stickers).

I'm not sure what version my BIOS is, but I'll check for updates.

On Performance - Miscellaneous tab it informed that the RAM frequencies were of 1333 Mhz, instead of 1600.. found no way to change it though, even though the other tabs all said 1600 Mhz.

On CPU-Z I have the following:
Slots 1 and 3 (old RAM sticks)
2377942ac780e89110e628d22c758566-full.png

Slots 2 and 4 (new ram sticks):
7b4708eddc055c4c8fba8944e9d92b0e-full.png

Are they correct? I'll start testing now, and will update later.

Thanks!

Memory is guaranteed in the form sold. Other combinations you decide to make, including identical, same thing, exact match, have no guarantee to be compatible together.

Combinations such as what you are attempting can result in the memory no longer being able to operate at rated specifications. You might try lowering the memory clock speed to get them to work together.

XMP profiles are also for memory in the form sold.

Mar 17, 2019
Update: okay, I've been playing for a couple of hours already, no more crashes.
Not exactly sure what fixed it, but I guess it worked.

Thanks for the help!