[SOLVED] Upgrade ram memory dilema 🤷‍♂️

Jul 11, 2020
I have HyperX Furt Black 2 x 8GB 3200mhz CL18 and I wanna upgrade my ram. I wanna upgrade to 24GB (money matters, maybe even 32GB but it's double the price here)
Btw if it is important, I have Ryzen 5 2600 on ROG STRIX B350-F GAMING motherboard.
Do i need another kit of 3200mhz CL18 or i can buy with other latency, CL16 for example, cus somehow it is cheaper then CL18 here?
Can I buy one more stick (so I'll have 3 ram sticks) and my memory will still be in dual channel or two more sticks is better?
And finally is it okay to mix it with other brands?

Solution
I have HyperX Furt Black 2 x 8GB 3200mhz CL18 and I wanna upgrade my ram. I wanna upgrade to 24GB (money matters, maybe even 32GB but it's double the price here)
Btw if it is important, I have Ryzen 5 2600 on ROG STRIX B350-F GAMING motherboard.
Do i need another kit of 3200mhz CL18 or i can buy with other latency, CL16 for example, cus somehow it is cheaper then CL18 here?
Can I buy one more stick (so I'll have 3 ram sticks) and my memory will still be in dual channel or two more sticks is better?

Hi @srk1

1st off, Welcome to the forums!

2nd, save yourself the headache and just buy a 32GB DDR4-3200 Kit. (2x16GB)

It's never a good idea to mix & match your RAM. Even if...

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED

Hi @srk1

It's never a good idea to mix & match your RAM. Even if you were to buy the same make/model/speed you currently have installed there is a chance, even if it is a slight chance, that the different RAM types won't play nice together. Crashing, BSOD, performance issues or the possibility that the system won't even detect some of the RAM installed are a few of the issues. Also keep in mind that if the RAM does play nice, the slowest clocked RAM installed will be used with the other RAM being underclocked to match.

That's not to say that you will 100% for sure have problems if you mix & match, just that it's not a good idea and countless issues have arisen as a result. You may be one of the lucky ones and have no issues what so ever. I've had both happen, where mixed ran fine, (fine is not great) and I've also installed an exact duplicate and only 1 of the sets were detected. Kinda like playing the lotto. :)

Would also strongly advise you go with matching amounts. So 2x8GB, 2x16GB etc. You'll not get optimum performance with 2x8GB and then another stick of 8GB installed or even 2x4GB.

Again Welcome!

Last edited:
Solution
Jul 11, 2020
Hi @srk1

It's never a good idea to mix & match your RAM. Even if you were to buy the same make/model/speed you currently have installed there is a chance, even if it is a slight chance, that the different RAM types won't play nice together. Crashing, BSOD, performance issues or the possibility that the system won't even detect some of the RAM installed are a few of the issues. Also keep in mind that if the RAM does play nice, the slowest clocked RAM installed will be used with the other RAM being underclocked to match.

That's not to say that you will 100% for sure have problems if you mix & match, just that it's not a good idea and countless issues have arisen as a result. You may be one of the lucky ones and have no issues what so ever. I've had both happen, where mixed ran fine, (fine is not great) and I've also installed an exact duplicate and only 1 of the sets were detected. Kinda like playing the lotto. :)

Would also strongly advise you go with matching amounts. So 2x8GB, 2x16GB etc. You'll not get optimum performance with 2x8GB and then another stick of 8GB installed or even 2x4GB.

Again Welcome!
Big thanks for the great tip. I was considering that solution and now probably gonna do like that.

Reactions: Mrgr74