Sep 26, 2020
good morning everyone,
so i recently got this rig the got some extra cash so i was wondering if i should get another stick of ram or an ssd (note:this pc is ment for 720p gaming)
cpu: i3-9100f
mobo: Asus H310m-k R2.0
ram:8gb 2666mhz (single channel)
gfx : GTX 1650 windforce oc
knowing that i already have a 1tb 7200rpm toshiba HDD
thanks in advance for your advices

Solution
i was wondering if i should get another stick of ram or an ssd (note:this pc is ment for 720p gaming)

In this case, adding SSD for OS and the games would benefit the most. Get a minimum of 240gb if you can. You’ll get wonderful experience with the faster system environment. I still have the excitement of adding SSD years ago :) I’m sure you’ll have the pleasure, too.

You can always upgrade your RAM later. Try Riva Tuner so you can monitor how much RAM is used in the game. Most games will be just fine with 8gb. Of course they want their games be bought by entry level PC users , too. More buyers, more benefit.
Does it have to be one or the other? You would benefit from both.

1. An upgrade to an SSD will see boot times increase considerably and programs feel more zippy.
  2. There is much better performance with RAM in dual channel mode. If you decide to upgrade do not add to what you have which can cause a mismatch. Upgrade to a single kit of RAM (2x8) and keep what you have as spares.
With 16GB you will be able to play more RAM demanding AAA games.

If it is a budget restriction then get a decent RAM kit first.

Reactions: jyraya25
Sep 26, 2020
i gave got
Does it have to be one or the other? You would benefit from both.

1. An upgrade to an SSD will see boot times increase considerably and programs feel more zippy.
  2. There is much better performance with RAM in dual channel mode. If you decide to upgrade do not add to what you have which can cause a mismatch. Upgrade to a single kit of RAM (2x8) and keep what you have as spares.
With 16GB you will be able to play more RAM demanding AAA games.

If it is a budget restriction then get a decent RAM kit first.
thanks for you reply actually i have a T-force 8gb 2666mhz ram i will buy the same one to make it 16gb is it ok or will i have to get a totally new kit ?

N3wb13g

Honorable
Mar 2, 2017
i was wondering if i should get another stick of ram or an ssd (note:this pc is ment for 720p gaming)

In this case, adding SSD for OS and the games would benefit the most. Get a minimum of 240gb if you can. You’ll get wonderful experience with the faster system environment. I still have the excitement of adding SSD years ago :) I’m sure you’ll have the pleasure, too.

You can always upgrade your RAM later. Try Riva Tuner so you can monitor how much RAM is used in the game. Most games will be just fine with 8gb. Of course they want their games be bought by entry level PC users , too. More buyers, more benefit.

Last edited:
Solution

N3wb13g

Honorable
Mar 2, 2017
Also, the biggest bottleneck in the system is HDD. Get rid of that first, so you can feel maximum performance of your system, and next you can upgrade its RAM.

Ps... if you can, you could always choose bigger SSD capacity.