Upgrade RAM or new monitor for my build? Thoughts, suggestions?

Nov 14, 2018
Basically, my goal for several months now has been to get my rig ready to play Metro Exodus (and other games, ofc) on max settings. I've pretty much got everything except for 2 main pieces; sufficient RAM and a new, good monitor. I'm looking on some input as to which would be better to get first? I am not working currently and dont have the money to just get both right now. Its either RAM or the monitor, until later.

1. A new monitor is the first choice, at 2560x1440 for the resolution. I currently have an older 1920x1080 60hz monitor. I know a new monitor would make many games look a lot better, but a monitor is more pricey and I worry about my RAM.

2. Upgrade RAM. Right now, I have 8GB of DDR4 at 2800MHz, but I do experience some moments of slowness/stutters related to the RAM. (its being used at times like 70-80%- I play a lot of higher-demanding games and do video editing/recording often) I'd be upgrading to Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB at 3000MHz.

These are my current specs, to help understand more.

GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC ULTRA
CPU: i7 6700 (3.40GHz)
Mobo: MSi Z270 SLI
RAM: 8GB DDR 2800MHz (its XPG ADATA, tho i cant find it online anywhere. white color.)
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G+
And for drives I have 2 500GB Samsung SSD's and a 2TB Hybrid SSHD

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS