Upgrade RAM or SSD for video rendering?

mayankj

Honorable
May 16, 2015
I'm just getting into video editing and After Effects. I use Adobe Premiere Pro CC for my video editing for youtube and general video editing.
I have a Lenovo G50-80 Laptop.
The specs are:
Intel Core i3 4030u 1.9Ghz
4gb ram
Intel HD Integrated Graphics
500 GB mechanical hard disk

The video rendering and export even with 720p takes a lot of time. I'll do video rendering at 1080p. So I was wondering what will be a better choice for an upgrade. Should I get another 4GB RAM i.e. Total 8GB RAM or get a 250 GB SSD like kingston UV400 (that's in my budget).
Which of this will give me improvement in the performance or should I try to squeeze in both?
If yes what to get first?

Thanks for helping!

Solution
the ssd doesn't help that much on this case but as you say, you can move it to other pc later

the ram is helpful, definitively, put as much as you can, you will see benefits in terms of time, we are talking about many minutes less generating final product

kanewolf

Titan

The RAM upgrade will attempt to prevent it from swapping. Swapping, even with an SSD is still slower than main RAM.

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
the most critical is ram, lots of ram, if you can put 8, that would be great

fast storage is welcome but ram is vital for adobe, you will not believe how much the ram helps you with adobe

about saving for a desktop, that would be the wisest choice but if budget doesn't allow it, the ram, definitively

the problem with the ssd is that price for one with at least 480gbs is high, and you do need for some projects around 100 gbs of free space, so i would keep the hard disk and add the ssd but if i can have the hard disk via usb 3 or something like that so adobe can push files into it as fast as possible

with that hardware, the 1080p will be your maximum resolution, it can do 4k, but we are talking about many hours creating a final product, instead of a couple minutes with 1080p with the right amount of ram

mayankj

Honorable
May 16, 2015
I have an external hard disk - WD Elements. Well if I get a SSD i can use it in the PC when I build it. But will I see any significant improvement in video editing and rendering or its just waste to upgrade this laptop and get a PC rather?
BTW am trying to save up for a Ryzen 5 + GTX Build for gaming/video editing and hope to get it before Christmas.

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
the ssd doesn't help that much on this case but as you say, you can move it to other pc later

the ram is helpful, definitively, put as much as you can, you will see benefits in terms of time, we are talking about many minutes less generating final product

Solution