Question Upgrade RAM

Aug 12, 2019
Guys can i upgrade my laptop, already got 4gb ram with 2666 frequency ,1.2V and cl 10 but now i want to upgrade with another 4gb rab same frequency 2666 , 1.2V but cl 19.Can i do that or i need new ram with cl 10 as i got in my laptop.
My laptop is hp 250 g6.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

Mixed RAM modules are a 50/50 gamble. So they are not guaranteed compatibility,. Not saying they never work, but it's a gamble, so there is every possibility you can upgrade the RAM and they won't play nicely together.

Tht aside, you can do it, however you'll probably find that either your other RAM will downlock to match the new RAM, or it might not work at all. Frequency / speed etc is just a way to minimise risk, not eliminate it.

So best practice is to buy completely new RAM.
Next to that it's getting the same model RAM, or at the very least RAM that is an exact match in specs.

There's no way of telling if it will work until you try it my friend unfortunately.

Aug 12, 2019
Welcome to the forums my friend!

Mixed RAM modules are a 50/50 gamble. So they are not guaranteed compatibility,. Not saying they never work, but it's a gamble, so there is every possibility you can upgrade the RAM and they won't play nicely together.

Tht aside, you can do it, however you'll probably find that either your other RAM will downlock to match the new RAM, or it might not work at all. Frequency / speed etc is just a way to minimise risk, not eliminate it.

So best practice is to buy completely new RAM.
Next to that it's getting the same model RAM, or at the very least RAM that is an exact match in specs.

There's no way of telling if it will work until you try it my friend unfortunately.

Thank you for your answer