Question Upgrade recommendation

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Hi @Energizor

See the same link you provided. Scroll down to "Processor Upgrade"

Here is a listing of what you can install in your particular mobo.

Processor​
TDP​
Intel Core i5 4430 (Haswell) 3.0 GHz Dual Core​
up to 84 W​
Intel Core i5 4440 (Haswell) 3.1 GHz Quad Core​
up to 84 W​
Intel Core i5 4570 (Haswell) 3.2 GHz Quad Core​
up to 84 W​
Intel Core i5 4590 (Haswell) 3.3 GHz Quad Core​
up to 84 W​
Intel Core i5 4670 (Haswell) 3.4 GHz Quad Core​
up to 84 W​
Intel Core i5 4670K (Haswell) 3.4 GHz Quad Core​
up to 84 W​
Intel Core i7 4770 (Haswell) 3.4 GHz Quad Core​
up to 84 W​
Intel Core i7 4770K (Haswell) 3.5 GHz Quad Core​
up to 84 W​
Intel Core i7 4790 (Haswell) 3.6 GHz Quad Core​
up to 84 W​

Olle P

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
... New is not an option as you could get into a newer, better platform, at the price of a decent new CPU that would work with that Z97 motherboard.
I agree with that. Either a 2nd hand upper end Core i7 (4770 or better) that fit your mobo or replace (at least) mobo, CPU and RAM.
Any lesser CPU would be sub-par for the graphics card.

Yes, any 4th Gen i5, 4770, 4690k, etc. would be somewhat of a bottleneck with that graphics card in most modern games especially at lower resolutions like 1080p and potentially to some degree, 1440p as well. At 4k, it probably wouldn't be, but at that resolution your frame rates would be so much lower anyhow that the bottleneck would be the graphics card or settings in any case.

Ferimer

Distinguished
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 3.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 AORUS M Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($88.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $303.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-10 22:53 EST-0500
Honestly this would probably be your better option either way you're going to have to reset a lot of things anyway you might as well just go for a full change. AMD ryzen cores have proven to be better and a ryzen 5 or 7 is far superior than an intel 5 at that price

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech

Ferimer

Distinguished
I already posted all your best options for remaining on the platform for the board you bought. If they are not feasible for you, then you are not in a position to do much of anything that might get you where you want to be. I listed your best options and even posted a link to an i7 option for less than you can get any other current gen CPU for. If that won't or doesn't work for you, then IDK what to tell you.

Upgrade to a newer platform like DLOT suggested, although it's going to cost more.

Ferimer

Distinguished
It turns out that I have an extra LGA1151 mobo that I can install, if I did that are there any other good options for me?
So that would let you get into the 7th GEn Intel CPUs. But those are still high in price and lack in comparison to Ryzen 5 3000 series. If you are looking for an upgrade where you can save money and still have cash for other things honestly going the AMD route would be your best option

WHAT LGA 1151 motherboard, because there are two generations of it that can accept 6th and 7th gen Intel CPUs, and two generations of LGA 1151 motherboard that will ONLY work with 8th and 9th gen Intel CPUs. And the early and later hardwares are not compatible with each other. You cannot use an 8th or 9th gen Intel CPU in a 6th or 7th gen LGA 1151 socket motherboard and visa versa.