[SOLVED] Upgrade recommendations?

TheWhiteShogun

Reputable
May 23, 2017
How is it going everyone, I am looking to upgrade my computer. I know now is not the time to try but I want to know that, should the prices make their way to "normal" where I should focus my time and money. I use the PC for streaming games and working from home, though work is not super demanding on my PC.

I have thought of upping my ram and looked into getting a 30 series card but I am not sure. I want to improve my stream quality and gaming fps.
CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S 55 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z390-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5"
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB Gaming OC
Case: Define R6 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX

Thanks

Solution
How is it going everyone, I am looking to upgrade my computer. I know now is not the time to try but I want to know that, should the prices make their way to "normal" where I should focus my time and money. I use the PC for streaming games and working from home, though work is not super demanding on my PC.

I have thought of upping my ram and looked into getting a 30 series card but I am not sure. I want to improve my stream quality and gaming fps.
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM...

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB Gaming OC
Case: Define R6 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX

Thanks

I'd suggest starting off by overclocking that 8700K to the 9's since that's what you paid for with a 'K' and a Z390. A 2070 super should be enough GPU for excellent triple-A gaming at 1440p even at high to ultra settings. Maybe upgrade CPU cooling if temps get out of control, but that should be it.

Is the streaming causing problems? Can't you use the iGPU to encode the stream to take the load off the CPU and GPU?

Last edited:
Solution

TheWhiteShogun

Reputable
May 23, 2017
I'd suggest starting off by overclocking that 8700K to the 9's since that's what you paid for with a 'K' and a Z390. A 2070 super should be enough GPU for excellent triple-A gaming at 1440p even at high to ultra settings. Maybe upgrade CPU cooling if temps get out of control, but that should be it.

Is the streaming causing problems? Can't you use the iGPU to encode the stream to take the load off the CPU and GPU?

I have not done major overclocking, I have dabbled in it I guess it is just I feel like the FPS i get from games while streaming is just a bit lower than what I thought. I use the nvidia encoder when streaming. I have also thought about getting a AIO to help with temps.

I have a Sceptre 32 inch monitor and two 27 inch monitors from the same company. The 32 and one of the 27 is on the GPU and the final monitor is on the Motherboard

https://www.amazon.com/Sceptre-Curved-32-inch-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B082GTFJB5
I would look at upgrading from 1080p to 1440p or higher resolution main monitor. Personally I would go with an ultrawide display as it is more immersive for gaming and work very well for productivity.

The other area I would look at upgrading would be getting more SSD storage. For ~$220 you can get either a 2TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro or 2TB Mushkin Pilot-E. That would allow you to relegate your current 2TB HDD to being used for just bulk storage.

Your PSU isn't the greatest. The Corsair CXM's aren't as good as the CX's. It is still a decent PSU but a little surprising when compared to the rest of the components. There is a really good deal for the 650W Seasonic Focus PX right now at Newegg. In actuality that might be the best PSU deal right now in the Gold or better efficiency ratings.

TheWhiteShogun

Reputable
May 23, 2017
I would look at upgrading from 1080p to 1440p or higher resolution main monitor. Personally I would go with an ultrawide display as it is more immersive for gaming and work very well for productivity.

The other area I would look at upgrading would be getting more SSD storage. For ~$220 you can get either a 2TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro or 2TB Mushkin Pilot-E. That would allow you to relegate your current 2TB HDD to being used for just bulk storage.

Your PSU isn't the greatest. The Corsair CXM's aren't as good as the CX's. It is still a decent PSU but a little surprising when compared to the rest of the components. There is a really good deal for the 650W Seasonic Focus PX right now at Newegg. In actuality that might be the best PSU deal right now in the Gold or better efficiency ratings.

Would you happen to have any 1440p monitor recommendations?

TRENDING THREADS