Upgrade router and splitter for faster lan suggestions

Marios_1

Reputable
Sep 7, 2015
Hello,

Im currently making a lan with a server (fairly old lga 771 dual socket) and 3 pc's and im currently using a router provided from the internet company and a splitter fairly cheap. My lan speed is super low as expected and i want to upgrade. Should i get a router with many ports(i need over 8 ports including printers) or i should get a splitter or both? Thanks for your help in advance.

Solution
By splitter I hope you mean unmanaged switch. Basically anything with gig-E should be within 10% of the performance and all should be good enough for most. Just connect less used computers (and your printer) to the switch, and server and most used computers to the router. Usually routers will have 4 ports, and with a 5port unmanaged switch you should be able to manage all your devices.
By splitter I hope you mean unmanaged switch. Basically anything with gig-E should be within 10% of the performance and all should be good enough for most. Just connect less used computers (and your printer) to the switch, and server and most used computers to the router. Usually routers will have 4 ports, and with a 5port unmanaged switch you should be able to manage all your devices.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan

This depends.
What switch do you have now? Make/model, please.

If you need that much speed, you're either a) doing something horribly wrong --or-- b) overestimating your needs.

Your internet speeds will be met with any gig-E router on all your machines, it's a matter of seeing how fast of file transfers you really need that's the issue. Unless you need all machines to get 50MB/S at the same time, a cheap netgear 5 port gig-e switch will be fine. If you do need that much speed, you're going to need a better server!

USAFRet

Titan

That's an 8 port 10/100/1000 switch.
You're not going to get any faster at a consumer level of device.

Your router, however, is a "Fast Ethernet" connection. 10/100
http://enterprise.zteusa.com/en/products/network_lnfrastructure/cpe/broadband/201312/t20131209_414436.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_Ethernet

So...things connected to the router will be 'slower' than things connected directly to the switch.

USAFRet

Titan

The drives on the server, RAID or not, have nothing to do with a network bottleneck.

USAFRet

Titan

Don't need an 8 port router. (and that would be hard to find)

modem->router->switch->devices.

with a 10/100/1000 router, devices can be on the switch or the router.

Yup, the exact setup I have in one lab, but with two switches. If your "server" has a server OS and multiple ethernet ports that support teaming, you could actually get slightly higher performance for multiple clients by using multiple connections, even connections at different layers (if router is layer 1, switch would be layer 2,etc) if your equipment supports it. With that you can be drive limited for as many devices as there are connections.

Marios_1

Reputable
Sep 7, 2015
i am running windows server 2003 in my server. i only have 2 ethernet ports. i know there is a pci card with 4 ethernet ports but i dont think its worth the extra cost. ill try to reconfigure my lan. currently its router->splitter -> all pcs connected to splitter.