Question Upgrade SATA to SAS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 30, 2019
I have a dell power edge per 6i with 6 sata drives each pair are mirrored at controller level resulting in 3 drives showing up in windows. this server is in production and get beat on pretty hard each day. I worry about the sata disks so I purchased 6 SAS disk of same size. Since I cant simply hot swap my way through replacing the old disks as the controller wont allow sas and sata on the same VD. I am thinking I may try to add three sas and set them up as new drives. then clone the sata to the sas and add the additional sas drives in place of the remaining sata disks with the hopes of then mirroring the cloned sas disks to the new empty sas disks. does this sound like a bad idea? does anyone have any other suggestions?

popatim

Titan
I would add a pair of Sas drive s and configure them in Raid 1 right from the get go and copy the data over.
I'm not sure how many drives you can add but if you have room for 6 more drives then make the 3 mirrors, and do it in one pass
otherwise I would do 1 mirror at a time, copy data, remove sata drives and delete VD.
Sawp in 2 SAS drive create the mirror, copy next set of sata data over, remove sata & delete VD
Swap in last 2 SAS drive create the mirror, copy next set of sata data over, remove sata & delete VD
done
and now you have 2 sets of emergency backups of the data as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.