Question Upgrade soldered RAM and CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 3, 2020
Hi, my computer was sold in two possible configurations, one with the I5-6200U and the other with the I7-6500U. Mine is the version with the I5-6200U and it has 8 GB of LPDDR3 RAM in dual channel. Each RAM module has 2 chips of 2GB each. The RAM being of the LP type is soldered on the motherboard and has no expansion slot. The RAM socket is a BGA178, typical of LPDDR3, only some particular versions have a different socket, such as those that integrate the eMMC. Both the chipset and the processors support up to 32GB of RAM.

In your opinion, if I bought RAM modules that are the same in specifications (voltage, frequencies, etc ...) except for density, would it work? I would like to put the chips of 8 GB each, so that I have 16 GB per bank, for a total of 32 GB in dual channel. I should unsolder the original chips and solder the new ones. On Aliexpress you can find both the chips and the stencil and everything you need.

Same idea, but applied to the CPU. Can I mount the I7-6560U on it? It has the same specifications as the other two processors, the only thing that changes is the GPU, which goes from an HD520 to an Iris 540. All with the same socket, same TDP, same control chipset, RAM and so on. Only the GPU changes. There are the DeLL Inspiron 7368 and 7569 which are sold with both the I5-6200U, both the I7-6500U and the I7-6560U.

You say that the BIOS can create problems? I believe that those from Acer (it's an Acer) didn't think anyone could think of upgrading RAM and CPU by putting a block in the BIOS to avoid it.

In case it didn't work, wouldn't it be enough for me to reassemble the original things to make it work again?

Thanks in advance.

Nov 3, 2020
Thanks for the replies. But theoretically, with the right tools and skills, would it work by replacing the CPU and RAM? Thanks in advance.

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks for the replies. But theoretically, with the right tools and skills, would it work by replacing the CPU and RAM? Thanks in advance.
99% against.
The BIOS also has to know how to work with a different CPU. There was no reason for them expend the effort into put that code into the BIOS, because the CPU is not changeable.

The bottom half of this pic is the underside of the CPU.
tZH8War.png

Outside of the factory, you cannot even remove the old one, much less install a new one.

Nov 3, 2020
Hi, i know that cpu is on fcbga socket, as i said that is not the problem, i can buy a stencil to do the reballing. My question was whether bios would give me problems. So you say I can only fit the i7-6500u to him? Nothing i7-6560u? What about RAM instead? Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS