[SOLVED] Upgrade SR850 headphones?

Mar 26, 2020
Hi all,

So I'm thinking about upgrading my headphones from the Samson SR850 I bought years go.

I do a bit of gaming, but nothing competitive. Mixed usage is what I'd say my needs are for headphones.

Not sure whether to try closed backed or stick to open. I know the 850's are semi-open.

What are the most immersive headphones in the mid-tier price range? Maybe $100-$250 AUD? That's about 170 USD.

Solution
D
The X2HR is 'better'. The 599 is more comfortable and lighter. I've had 598s for almost 10 years ( the 599 is just a retuned 598 with better bass ) and I still use them as daily drivers just because of how light and comfortable and honestly, good they are. But the X2HR is a step up in sound quality. For the $145 I paid for the X2HR I have not found a better value in the headphone world. I paid $175 for the 598s all those years ago.
D

Deleted member 217926

Either the Philips Fidelio X2HR ( ~$145 US ) or the Sennheiser HD599 ( varies but as low as $99 during sales ) are your best bets in that price range. Assuming you can find them in that price range. No amp required for either. Open is better than closed until you spend way more money than that.

D

Deleted member 217926

The X2HR is 'better'. The 599 is more comfortable and lighter. I've had 598s for almost 10 years ( the 599 is just a retuned 598 with better bass ) and I still use them as daily drivers just because of how light and comfortable and honestly, good they are. But the X2HR is a step up in sound quality. For the $145 I paid for the X2HR I have not found a better value in the headphone world. I paid $175 for the 598s all those years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution