Upgrade suggestions for a cyberpowerpc gua880

bigshaq

Prominent
Nov 13, 2017
Solution
You need a complete rehaul. Maybe keep your current Storage.

GPU and RAM prices are stupidly high, and a GPU release is around the corner so you might want to consider waiting.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KBwzyX
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KBwzyX/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 1200 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($104.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - A320M-DGS Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($49.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB SC GAMING Video Card ($359.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - TXM Gold 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @...

zoltan.boese

Estimable
Jan 30, 2018
Upgrade the power supply $50 and the graphics card $240 first. Recommendations here:
SeaSonic - S12II 620W
GTX 1050ti

Your motherboard supports the AMD FX-8350 $120 if you also upgrade the CPU get a better cooler $50 for it as well.
AMD FX-8350
Mugen 5 cooler
or Thermalright - Macho

So from less than $500 you can change half the components in your PC. However for 700 you can get a good performing new rig as well

You need a complete rehaul. Maybe keep your current Storage.

GPU and RAM prices are stupidly high, and a GPU release is around the corner so you might want to consider waiting.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KBwzyX
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KBwzyX/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 1200 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($104.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - A320M-DGS Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($49.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB SC GAMING Video Card ($359.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - TXM Gold 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $749.35
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-02-23 01:33 EST-0500

I tried to fit a lot in that budget. The Ryzen 3 is a quad core, and the Mobo is pretty limited. When you get an increase in budget, you can switch over to Intel with a new chip and mobo for better performance.

Solution
I was down with the last post until the very last comment.

Intel is not that much better than Ryzen. Numbers I saw with kaby lake be ryzen were only a few percentage points. Plus ryzen + is like 2 months out, ryzen 2 should be next year, then ryzen 3 a year or so later. They are supposed to be improving IPC and clock speeds.

I have a ryzen 1600, had an fx 6300 prior. It's like a 40% jump in single core performance and I think it will get better. Trust me, the ryzen chips aren't the dogs the FX chips were. Especially when you give them a little overclock. Plus the upgrade path will be better.

If you can though, stretch the budget to get a B350 motherboard so you can overclock. The GTX 1060 is a great suggestion. If you need to save money, you could go to the 3gb model. If you really needed to cut, you could go to a GTX 1050ti. Not the fastest card, but it would blow the doors of what you have now, and would open up the budget to get something like a ryzen 5 1600, or maybe even a 1500x or something.

Nono, I am not saying Ryzen is bad. I have four systems running Ryzen and most of my computers have now switched to the Ryzen platform. Why I said Intel was because the 8400 is better in terms of Single Core Performance, and is slightly better in terms of gaming.

Stick to Ryzen if you do not mind slightly less performance, because it is kind of negligible in reality.

Exactly, and I think the gap is going to shrink a bit more. To be honest, if you are running 1080p 60hz, I'd go as far as saying you won't see any difference at all right now. When it was vs Kaby lake, it was like a 10% difference. But as they improve the architecture on it and bump clock speeds higher, I think you will find that they get a lot better. Kind of like remember when Intel first came out with Sandy Bridge and how far they've come along since then. I think you will see a similar type progression hopefully.

The other big thing intel does not have in my opinion right now, is the bang for the buck. For example, newegg has the Ryzen 5 1600 for 190 right now. A B350 board to overclock with can be had for as little as 60 for the cheapest board. With intel, i5 8400, 190, can't overclock, cheapest board on newegg is 104. So I'm saving 40 bucks on the board, and getting a cpu that can overclock, and has hyperthreading whereas the intel does not. But you do sacrifice a little IPC for that. But if you are someone on a budget, that 40 dollars can be the difference between say a gtx 1050 or 1050ti for example.