Reputable
Jun 23, 2014
Here is my current build:
CPU: Intel Pentium Processor G3258
GPU: XFX RADEON R7 260X
MoBo: ASUS H81M-E
Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB
PSU: EVGA 500 B1, 80+ BRONZE 500W

My friend just upgraded to a 1060 so they'll be giving me their 960 soon. I thought this was a good chance to make some upgrades. I've heard the Pentium will bottleneck a 960, what's a better choice for me? I don't want to spend too much but a few hundred would be okay. Is an i3 satisfactory or should I reach for an i5?
I know my board is low end but it worked fine, should I bother upgrading that?
And lastly will my current psu be able to handle it?
Thanks!

Solution
Yes your Power Supply will handle a GTX 960 just fine, i would advise looking for a i5 for your socket, having a quad core will be well worth it for Gaming. If you're happy to buy second hand you might find some cheap if you look around. As for the Motherboard, it will be fine with an i5 4xxx. You could upgrade it but it won't offer much benefit unless you buy a K series i5 in which case you'll want a Z board to allow Overclocking. Hope this helps :)

CRO5513Y

Expert
Ambassador
Yes your Power Supply will handle a GTX 960 just fine, i would advise looking for a i5 for your socket, having a quad core will be well worth it for Gaming. If you're happy to buy second hand you might find some cheap if you look around. As for the Motherboard, it will be fine with an i5 4xxx. You could upgrade it but it won't offer much benefit unless you buy a K series i5 in which case you'll want a Z board to allow Overclocking. Hope this helps :)

Solution

Malefic Grindylow

Reputable
Jun 23, 2014
Definitely don't have the budget for an i7 :D
I mainly play Dead by Daylight and GTA V both run fine on my pc but this is a free upgrade so I thought I might as well get some other bits too. Thanks for everybody's help