[SOLVED] Upgrade suggestions for a GTX 970 ?

iccanui

Reputable
Feb 7, 2018
Hi gang !

So with a lot of help from here and research on my own i completed my upgrade build minus the v-card, thanks all !

But now i want to be on the look out for my video card upgrade. I currently have a GTX 970 and want to know what will be a big enough boost to be worth it so im ready if something pops up on black friday/cyber monday or even this week from prime/walmart/etc. Below is my current new PC build. The monitor is 1440p 144hz and i really just care about pushing rocket league to 200+ fps in 1440p @144hz and to be of course as budget friendly as possible. Thanks so much, this place as been such a great resource ! Stay safe out there everyone !

logainofhades

Titan
Solution

iccanui

Reputable
Feb 7, 2018
I would recommend a higher quality PSU, to start. That one isn't very good. A quality PSU is a must. A low quality unit can, and most likely will, take hardware with it, when it fails.

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Antec Earthwatts Gold Pro 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $94.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-13 11:44 EDT-0400

Yea, i got it to try to replace the PSU that died in my old PC. Then started to build a new PC. Can still return it. Out of wonder though, why is it low quality ?

And second, after i upgrade, what card if any would you recommend ?

Thanks again for all your help !

logainofhades

Titan
That PSU, with only a 3yr warranty doesn't instill confidence, for starters. It also looks to be a PSU that pumps the amperage, on the 3.3 and 5v rail to achieve its rated wattage. Graphics cards especially need strong 12v rail amperage. While not as offensive as some I have seen, it is still a practice, this particular unit is doing. The Antec I chose is built by Seasonic, which is one of the best in the business, for PSU's. That Rosewill appears to be on an old design, seeing reviews for the higher wattage models, in the series.

Reactions: iccanui

Asez23

Reputable
Oct 11, 2020
Hi gang !

So with a lot of help from here and research on my own i completed my upgrade build minus the v-card, thanks all !

But now i want to be on the look out for my video card upgrade. I currently have a GTX 970 and want to know what will be a big enough boost to be worth it so im ready if something pops up on black friday/cyber monday or even this week from prime/walmart/etc. Below is my current new PC build. The monitor is 1440p 144hz and i really just care about pushing rocket league to 200+ fps in 1440p @144hz and to be of course as budget friendly as possible. Thanks so much, this place as been such a great resource ! Stay safe out there everyone !

i would go with the MSI Radeon RX 580 Gaming X 8GB

okjak808

Honorable
Feb 23, 2018
You could go for a RX 580 8gb, 6gb, or 4gb model. But from a GTX 970 to an RX 580 you won't see a major improvement in performance. Since black Friday is coming up try going for the 20 series, or 16 series like GTX 2060, 1660ti, or if anything try the 1070 ti, or 1080.