Upgrade suggestions needed!

Nino4576

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
I have had my motherboard fry a second time. Same board.....so, I plan o an upgrade...but just not sure what one is compatible.

I had an ASUS M3N78PRO (AMD2) Socket 940

Chip is a AMD Phenom Quad Core
DDR 2 Corsair RAM (4G all together)

Any help with a motherboard upgrade for these items is appreciated. If any further info is needed, let me know. TY!

Nino4576

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011

The memory? Can you give me examples if possible? Thanks for your help so far btw. :p

Suppose I should also add that my current PS is a Thermatake 860W. GPU is a GeForce 9800GT.

I am pretty behind the curve gaming-wise. But had little difficulty playing games like Skyrim (On Medium/High, EMPIRE:Total War, etc.

Nino4576

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011

Well....if those are indeed compatible with my current CPU....then that is the way I will go. It will still put me under what I expected to pay. Of course my GPU is gimp...but can upgrade that in a pay or two anyways.

Think the PSU is enough? Even for a GPU upgrade?

Nino4576

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011

Any GPU suggestions for a reasonable price and upgrade? Willing to spend up to $200. Perhaps a bit more.

Thanks a ton for all your help and quick responses. GREATLY appreciated!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102908
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227725

I use the agility 3 ssd; had no issues with it. I highly recommend it for a boot device. You may clone your old drive if the files are small enough, or do a fresh install of windows basic files. The trick is to use only one drive at a time while installing windows. When you're finished, boot up with the ssd, and install your old drive while windows is running. Windows will set up the old drive as a secondary device and if you're running the same version of windows on both drives, you should have no problems accessing your files.

Nino4576

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
Ok O1die...I have a questions and problems.

So I got the parts you mentioned in this thread.. But...I've discovered the power hookup on the new MB is a 24 pin connector, and my current PS is 20 pin. Is their an adapter you can get? Or do I need to just get a 24 pin PS?

Secondly....the CPU fan was stupid hard to get on this MB....I F'ed up and bent a few pins on the CPU...on the outside. After my turrets fit...I managed to delicately bend them back and it fit fine in the MB where it is suppose to go and locked down. Will it be ok or no and now I'll need to get a new CPU??

You may use a 20 pin connector on a 24 pin board; leave the 4 pins on the end open; it only fits one way with the clip side lined up with the notch on the board. You may use the ssd with your hardrive; just install the ssd separate or clone it and install the leftover drive while windows is running. Do not have both drives connected while you do a fresh windows install. It's not necessary and may cause the ssd to not be found. Just try the cpu with the bent pins; it either works or doesn't.

Nino4576

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
Sigh....nothing can ever just work out.

So....I have everything hooked up...BUT....I have no drive to put the CD in for the MB CD because one is broke, and the other (A DVD) drive...looks like it has no hookups that go to the new MB.

It has the old MB hookups...a ribbon ASUS one. IDK.....

Do I need t buy a newer model CD drive or something? Or is their an alternate cord I can buy?

Nino4576

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
Sorry to keep bugging you with questions, but almost there!

My PC is running...so the CPU is working, thank God....but my on screen graphics look like they do prior to installing drivers. I couldn't use the disk that came with the MB because my current CD ROM drive doesn't have the proper connections to use it...so I grabbed the drivers online and installed, as well as the latest (Or so I think) GPU drivers. Still looks like crap.

Was wondering if it could have something to do with the drivers for the OS being 64 bit, and my GPU being 32 bit? Not sure what the deal is. Still working on it, but any suggestions would be appreciated. You've been a big help thus far.

Nino4576

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011

I think my GPU may be incompatible with the MB (GeForce 9800GT).