Upgrade suggestions pls

Uday Manna

Reputable
May 4, 2014
Planning to upgrade my 4th gen i5,r9 270,8 GB DDR3.. would like to get some suggestions on whether to wait for 9th gen or to go with 8th Gen.. currently I'm planning for i7 8700.. any suggestions for alternative cpu, graphics card are also welcomed..

Solution
No one knows when 9th gen is even coming out, as there is no real competition for 8th gen currently...

But, despite the added expense of a quality cooler (if your case is wide enough, a Noctua NH-D15 rocks), I'd likely spring for the 8700K, and if that is too expensive, might even consider the 8600K next. (CLock speed still plays a significant role in gaming performance at 1080P gaming)

Not sure when the next gen of Nvidia GPUs is arriving, only rumors currently, so the 1060 (6 gb) is a good 1080P card, and the 1070 is a great 1440P card....
No one knows when 9th gen is even coming out, as there is no real competition for 8th gen currently...

But, despite the added expense of a quality cooler (if your case is wide enough, a Noctua NH-D15 rocks), I'd likely spring for the 8700K, and if that is too expensive, might even consider the 8600K next. (CLock speed still plays a significant role in gaming performance at 1080P gaming)

Not sure when the next gen of Nvidia GPUs is arriving, only rumors currently, so the 1060 (6 gb) is a good 1080P card, and the 1070 is a great 1440P card....

Solution
Any suggestions would depend on particular workload.
Is there anything your current system can't do well enough?

4th gen i5 is still very strong performer.
If gaming is main concern, then I'd upgrade ram to 16Gb first, get SSD and upgrade GPU and only then start thinking about CPU upgrade.