[SOLVED] Upgrade suggestions~!

JeckeL

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009
In anticipation of red dead 2 I'm thinking I'd like to drop $700-$800 on a better card. Here are my specs, what do ya'll think? I reckon I'll also need a new PSU? So please send recommendations for one of those as well, thanks!

i7-8700k
MSI GeForce GTX 1060 3GB
ASUS TUF B360M-Plus Gaming S
16 GB DDR4 - 2666
solytech 500w PSU (never even heard of this brand 🤷‍♂️)

monitor is 24", 1920x1080, 144Hz

Solution
Cool, my recommendation is a solid gold rated 650w power supply by either EVGA or Seasonic. If you plan to play the latest triple A titles on ultra, match fps with 1080p 144hz refresh-rate and expect a few years of longevity out of the card before upgrading or dialing back the graphics detail, i'd recommend at minimum a RTX 2080.
If there's not enough budget for that, a RTX 2070 super would do the job now in a pinch. Very graphical demanding titles like Metro Exodus on ultra are already bringing less than RTX 2080 cards to their knees, causing frames to dip lower than 144hz refesh rate. Keep in mind this is untra settings. Performance is impacted significantly between high and ultra settings, while subjectively having no visual...

JeckeL

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009
What resolution and refresh rate monitor do you have?
What computer case do you have?

Woops yea, I added that in the original post, 24" 1080p 144Hz

As far as the case I'd have to look, just a generic base model from ibuypower, are you asking because of card size/space? PSU dimensions? (current PSU is 5.5" x 6" x 3.3")

edit: case is "ibuypower trace 2"

Last edited:
Cool, my recommendation is a solid gold rated 650w power supply by either EVGA or Seasonic. If you plan to play the latest triple A titles on ultra, match fps with 1080p 144hz refresh-rate and expect a few years of longevity out of the card before upgrading or dialing back the graphics detail, i'd recommend at minimum a RTX 2080.
If there's not enough budget for that, a RTX 2070 super would do the job now in a pinch. Very graphical demanding titles like Metro Exodus on ultra are already bringing less than RTX 2080 cards to their knees, causing frames to dip lower than 144hz refesh rate. Keep in mind this is untra settings. Performance is impacted significantly between high and ultra settings, while subjectively having no visual discernible difference between the two.

Last edited:
Reactions: vMax
Solution
That or if you can find a reputable sellar on eBay and pick up a GTX 1080 ti used, that would also be a viable option. Roughly on par performance with the RTX 2080 and you get more vram for the money. The only downside is you don't get tensor cores with the 1080ti which wasn't a deal breaker for me because ray tracing isn't a priority imo.

Last edited:

JeckeL

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009
Cool, my recommendation is a solid gold rated 650w power supply by either EVGA or Seasonic. If you plan to play the latest triple A titles on ultra, match fps with 1080p 144hz refresh-rate and expect a few years of longevity out of the card before upgrading or dialing back the graphics detail, i'd recommend at minimum a RTX 2080

I purchased an EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G3 so once I get that settled in to the case I'll probably get a 2080, that's kind of where I was thinking originally as well, thanks! 👍

And yea their recommended GPU is what scared/prompted me in to this whole situation, I'm running the 3GB of the 6GB card they RECOMMEND lol... and we all know "recommended" is just a euphemism for "you'll get mediocre frames on low settings and a slideshow on high-ultra"

Red dead 1 is one of my favorite games of all time, I just want to make sure I can play this one on medium/highish settings with good frames