[SOLVED] Upgrade suggestions?

Harold95

Reputable
Jun 3, 2016
Hello,

Can anyone recommend the next part of my pc to upgrade I've just upgraded my CPU and added an SSD I'm thinking a new GPU.

Specs -

GTX 1070
Intel I7-7700K
250GB SSD
1TB SSD
1TB HDD
Asus Z170-A
16GB DDR4 Ram
Corsair 750w PSU

I'm just trying to keep myself occupied during the lockdown!

Thank you in advance :)

Solution
Cheers boss you've been a great help.

Gonna upgrade one of my monitors next month to 1440p. Then the month afterwards get the 2070 Super!

The Core i7 7700K is still a very capable CPU for today games. In the future you will want to upgrade motherboard, cpu and RAM (unless you have a 2x8GB DDR4 3200 MHz of higher rated speed kit) to extract every little bit of power the RTX 2070 Super can deliver.

adam19255

Respectable
Dec 13, 2018
Reactions: Harold95

Harold95

Reputable
Jun 3, 2016
I've upgraded my CPU from an I5 to an I7 I've been putting off getting a mobo upgrade because I know it's involves taking the whole thing apart!

I've got some high end peripherals and a 144hz monitor.

I was thinking maybe getting a 4K one, do you reckon I'll be able to tell the difference or do you think I should upgrade first?

adam19255

Respectable
Dec 13, 2018
I've upgraded my CPU from an I5 to an I7 I've been putting off getting a mobo upgrade because I know it's involves taking the whole thing apart!

I've got some high end peripherals and a 144hz monitor.

I was thinking maybe getting a 4K one, do you reckon I'll be able to tell the difference or do you think I should upgrade first?

I have a 2K high refresh monitor and I can tell you it's a huge leap from 1080p, but the GTX1070 will not push a lot of frames on 2K let alone 4K, you will need to upgrade your GPU to something like the RTX2070 super at the least if you want to do that, but then you will need to upgrade your CPU because the GPU will be bottlenecked.

Harold95

Reputable
Jun 3, 2016
Thats a great choice, and nvidia drivers are way more stable than AMD, if it wasn't for that, the RX 5700XT will be another great buy, but yeah the drivers need to keep maturing for this new AMD GPUs.

Can you share the exact 750w corsair model of your PSU? (it should be fine, but never hurts to ask).

It's a HX750i.

Do you think upgrading my GPU to a 2070 with my current CPU will be okay?

Someone just mentioned my CPU may bottleneck it.

fredfinks

Honorable
No, dont worry about CPU bottle necking, unless youre on something very old , or old and low end.

nearly everyone is GPU, not CPU limited. Why do we place so much emphasis on this? Oh no i may bottleneck. 99% are bottlenecked right now with their GPU. If your cpu does bottleneck there'll be WAY more in-game moments where youre better off with the better GPU.
i.e. id rather be CPU bottlenecked than GPU bottlenecked.

As always, get the fastest GPU you can afford. Unless you have fantastic runs like the 1080ti they all age like milk.
Buy & sell GPUs often, recouping significant cost of the new one on gumtree/ebay.

Last edited:
It's a HX750i.

Do you think upgrading my GPU to a 2070 with my current CPU will be okay?

Someone just mentioned my CPU may bottleneck it.

First things first, the PSU should be fine.

Now the CPU, if the monitor is 1440p capable, the cpu may bottleneck a bit, but it should be ok for now, after all is a 4 cores 8 threads CPU. The history will be diferent if it was a core i5.

Harold95

Reputable
Jun 3, 2016
First things first, the PSU should be fine.

Now the CPU, if the monitor is 1440p capable, the cpu may bottleneck a bit, but it should be ok for now, after all is a 4 cores 8 threads CPU. The history will be diferent if it was a core i5.

Gonna upgrade one of my monitors next month to 1440p. Then the month afterwards get the 2070 Super!

The Core i7 7700K is still a very capable CPU for today games. In the future you will want to upgrade motherboard, cpu and RAM (unless you have a 2x8GB DDR4 3200 MHz of higher rated speed kit) to extract every little bit of power the RTX 2070 Super can deliver.

Solution

fredfinks

Honorable

Further on what i was saying earlier about bottlenecking. I posit he'll be held back in GPU with the 2070 before the 7700k should be replaced.
In games, there will be more instances where the GPU is the bottleneck than points the 7700k will be the bottleneck.
I believe our thinking should change, the GPU should be the fastest thing.

Instead of 'our CPU is a-ok and has room to spare' it should be 'our GPU is a-ok ...'

Reactions: RodroX