Reputable
Nov 21, 2016
I have an old pre-built computer.
cpu fx 8350
gfx RX480 4g vr ram
mobo m5a97 r2.0 (old socket ik)
some ol' dual 4x4 ddr3 ram
3 500g ssds

Here say the past year games are getting harder and harder for this system to run...

my plans to get a new mother board, so I can grab me a Ryzen 5 3600/3700 cpu, and after that finnaly grab some ddr4 ram lol...

after these upgrades how much of a performance boost you think I will get guys,?

My main issue right now is big lag spikes. I know my rx480 is an oudated graphics card, but I should have no problems running games like Path of Exile, or Fortnite.

Solution
D
my plans to get a new mother board, so I can grab me a Ryzen 5 3600/3700 cpu, and after that finnaly grab some ddr4 ram lol...

after these upgrades how much of a performance boost you think I will get guys,?
With dual channel DDR4 RAM (make sure it's at least 3200 MHz for Ryzens - Ryzens love faster RAM) and a Ryzen 5 3600/3700, your performance boost will be SIGNIFICANT as the FX series from AMD is getting old and does not support SMT.

However, I would advise you to upgrade your PSU to at least a Corsair CX650 2017 (not modular), as you mentioned you have a pre-built and PSUs that come with pre-builts are hot garbage. Never cheap out on PSU/motherboard.
D

Deleted member 2720853

With dual channel DDR4 RAM (make sure it's at least 3200 MHz for Ryzens - Ryzens love faster RAM) and a Ryzen 5 3600/3700, your performance boost will be SIGNIFICANT as the FX series from AMD is getting old and does not support SMT.

However, I would advise you to upgrade your PSU to at least a Corsair CX650 2017 (not modular), as you mentioned you have a pre-built and PSUs that come with pre-builts are hot garbage. Never cheap out on PSU/motherboard.

Reactions: NathanGwyn
Solution

NathanGwyn

Reputable
Nov 21, 2016
so, when i upgrade ram, i basically have to trash my old pair of ram correct? or does the dual channel speed only have to be the same per pair of ram.. If you understand the question. Wordings not my specialty.