[SOLVED] Upgrade suggestions??

RColin

Reputable
Jul 25, 2015
Hello! I built a PC several years ago (2013ish?) and although it still runs fine, I'm getting to the point where I'm thinking about upgrading.

Specifically, I started playing Red Dead Redemption 2, and although the rig holds up fine, I'd like to be able to up the graphics a bit (or a lot - depending on what's possible and affordable).

Here's my current specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5 4460 3.20GHz
RAM: 24.0 GB DDR3
Mobo: ASRock H97 Anniversary
Graphics: NVidia GeForce GTX 960 2047MB
Storage: 1TB HDD Western Digital
Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts Green 450Watt 80+ Bronze Certified ATX

Budget: I'm hoping to spend around $300 CAD ($400ish US), but if there's an amazing upgrade someone can suggest that's above that, I'd like to hear it as well!

I would assume that the GPU is where I'd be upgrading, but perhaps also the CPU(?). I'm just hoping to get some suggestions on what might be reasonably affordable upgrades that won't cause any bottleneck or compatibility issues. I'm not hoping for ultra settings (but would be nice!) but I'm sitting at low/medium right now, and would really love to bump it up a notch or two.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
In truth, you need a platform upgrade AND a newer graphics card. You can't find i7's for your platform on the used market at anything like reasonable prices so upgrading your current platform doesn't make sense when you can move to a MUCH better performing platform with a new CPU, motherboard and memory for around 350 bucks, at least, when the parts are available. Right now, it's pretty much impossible to find the majority of reasonably priced hardware in stock. Just about everything worth buying, is currently either sold out or on back order. If you can wait two weeks to a month, it is likely that there will be a much better selection of hardware and prices available to choose from. Especially for graphics cards, power supplies and...
In truth, you need a platform upgrade AND a newer graphics card. You can't find i7's for your platform on the used market at anything like reasonable prices so upgrading your current platform doesn't make sense when you can move to a MUCH better performing platform with a new CPU, motherboard and memory for around 350 bucks, at least, when the parts are available. Right now, it's pretty much impossible to find the majority of reasonably priced hardware in stock. Just about everything worth buying, is currently either sold out or on back order. If you can wait two weeks to a month, it is likely that there will be a much better selection of hardware and prices available to choose from. Especially for graphics cards, power supplies and motherboards.

Also, any graphics card worth the price of upgrading to, from what you have now, is going to also require a higher capacity power supply. So you will want to figure on likely including a high quality 550w unit with your graphics card purchase. Right now, power supplies are in very short supply. Even finding something good entry level like the Corsair CX models, is unlikely.

Also, knowing what resolution you will be gaming at is going to be pretty essential to determining what card is a good choice and makes sense, or doesn't.

Solution