[SOLVED] Upgrade suggestions

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kaiminsh

Reputable
Jan 3, 2020
My specs:

Processor
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7400 CPU @ 3.00GHz

Video Card
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB

RAM
16.0 GB

Motherboard
ASUS H110M-K

I'm starting to look for an upgrade for my pc , any suggestions? Budget is ~500 euros , and I live in Latvia.

Solution
Wish ppl would learn to actually think about their suggestions before opening their mouths.

You have only one viable option for upgrade, anything lesser will just leave you wanting. That's the above mentioned i7-7700k. That's the biggest, baddest, meanest, strongest, fastest cpu available for your current motherboard. No 8 or 9 series will work, ignore all those other suggestions. There's 6th/7th lga1151 v1, and 8th/9th lga1151 v2. They are not the same regardless of pin count, and not compatible.

Fps limits are all cpu. It pre-renders every frame sent to the gpu. Gpu just has to live upto the limit, or fail, depending on detail settings and resolution. Your current cpu is capable of @ 300ish fps in csgo/office map. That 300fps gets...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Wish ppl would learn to actually think about their suggestions before opening their mouths.

You have only one viable option for upgrade, anything lesser will just leave you wanting. That's the above mentioned i7-7700k. That's the biggest, baddest, meanest, strongest, fastest cpu available for your current motherboard. No 8 or 9 series will work, ignore all those other suggestions. There's 6th/7th lga1151 v1, and 8th/9th lga1151 v2. They are not the same regardless of pin count, and not compatible.

Fps limits are all cpu. It pre-renders every frame sent to the gpu. Gpu just has to live upto the limit, or fail, depending on detail settings and resolution. Your current cpu is capable of @ 300ish fps in csgo/office map. That 300fps gets sent to the gpu. Your 1060 is capable of painting all 300fps at ultra. Witcher3, different story. That's what needs tested. Put all settings at absolute lowest possible, disable everything available like AA etc. That'll be close to what the cpu can send. Then raise settings to ultimate. If fps tanks hard, the issue is with the gpu. It's not strong enough to paint as many fps as the cpu can supply. If fps doesn't change much at all, that's on the cpu, it's got a lower limit, upgrade is advised if you want more.

So the above mentioned test, is what needs to be done. Figure out if you really need a cpu, or gpu upgrade, or both. The i7-7700k isn't going to hurt anything but your wallet, a better gpu will only set the fps free to get to its limit.

Either that, or look into a full platform upgrade, something like a z490 and 10600k, but you'll definitely need a upgraded gpu (2070 Super) to tame that beast, 1080p or 1440p @ 144Hz.

Solution