[SOLVED] Upgrade the OLD monster - suggestions?

Mar 8, 2019
Hello there !
i realised i didnt properly connect some of my tower components and was able to save the OLD tower !
thanks Tomshardware community.

Now tho , since i saved some money ... i wonder what would be the best worthwhile upgrade to boost the tower of make it able to sustain a few more years ?
i heard the i5 2500k is still good ...

here is my current build

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/LTnQHh

thanks for the suggestions ? also can i overclock it even tho i only have the cheap build it 8years old cooler on the i5?

thanks

Solution
I've already looked at your board, and there is no uefi support, so it's just legacy bios. It seems nvidia cards are more likely to work, so if ur on a budget, a gtx 1060 6gb or 970 can sometimes be had below $150, or a 3gb 1060 for ~$120. If looking at an amd card, I guess avoid sapphire brand and search the model number to find out if it is uefi only, if it doesn't say uefi only, you should be good...I hope. I ran a xfx r9 380x on my system that's legacy bios as well, so one can hope.
I would say a GTX 1660 or 1660 Ti is a good place to go with an upgrade. Maybe even an RTX 2060. Then you have the option of getting a 16GB RAM kit (2x8GB), but that's only if you really plan on keeping your current system for some time. The i5-2500K is okay and will keep you going, but they have begun to age. I'd get the GPU and see how it performs.

Yes, up to a 1660ti/1070 is feasible, though there will be modest bottlenecks, the rtx 2060 will definitely have bottleneck issues. A cheap rx580 or gtx 1660 non-ti are good as well if you don't want to deal with bottlenecks.

All though you can overclock, I'd be skeptical on the reliability oc'ing with dated/worn hardware.

If you can find an extra 2x4gb ddr3, that'd help as well.

Mar 8, 2019
Yea nice... those are good suggestions too.

I think with the bitcoin market a little down the Rx 570 and 580 and such are sold cheap by miners... they go for 100 or 120$ On facebook?
but will it really work with my old motherboard ? ( compatibility wise ?)

Same for the RAM, i found some people on facebook selling 8gb of ddr3 for about 30$ , but i recall to have 4 slots , 2 sets of a blue slot and white slot combo...
it only works if my 2 rams are on the blue spot , so i put the ram on the blue slot , then there is a empty white slot , then a blue slot with the other ram , then empty white slot... can i add a kit of 2 of ddr3 on the white slots ?

thanks

Last edited:
You're right, sorry, I overlooked that. Usually lga 1155 have a uefi bios, but it seems your board only has the old award bios, so the rx series wont work(probably), unless the model states compatibility with bios and uefi. Actually, any model gpu you will have to check if it's compatible with bios.

If you're using the stock fan, getting loud is natural when under load, But I'd imagine the 6950 being louder. But if you want a better heatsink, most sold today are compatible with your 1155 and new am4/lga1151, if you want to use it in a future build.

If you're having second thoughts, simply upgrading the gpu should let you transfer it over when you decide to go modern.

Mar 8, 2019
You're right, sorry, I overlooked that. Usually lga 1155 have a uefi bios, but it seems your board only has the old award bios, so the rx series wont work(probably), unless the model states compatibility with bios and uefi. Actually, any model gpu you will have to check if it's compatible with bios.

If you're using the stock fan, getting loud is natural when under load, But I'd imagine the 6950 being louder. But if you want a better heatsink, most sold today are compatible with your 1155 and new am4/lga1151, if you want to use it in a future build.

If you're having second thoughts, simply upgrading the gpu should let you transfer it over when you decide to go modern.

You mean i should maybe get a new motherboard?

No, I merely mean checking the gpu's ahead of time to see if they have bios and uefi capability, getting a new board is counter productive.

The whole uefi/bios gpu compatibility is a bit of a grey area, as I was lucky enough to have a gtx 1060 3gb run on my old legacy bios.

I believe nvidia is less fickle about bios/uefi compatibility, but the gtx 1660 just came out the other day, so I wouldn't know about compatibility for that.
What's your budget for an upgrade anyways?

Mar 8, 2019
No, I merely mean checking the gpu's ahead of time to see if they have bios and uefi capability, getting a new board is counter productive.

The whole uefi/bios gpu compatibility is a bit of a grey area, as I was lucky enough to have a gtx 1060 3gb run on my old legacy bios.

I believe nvidia is less fickle about bios/uefi compatibility, but the gtx 1660 just came out the other day, so I wouldn't know about compatibility for that.
What's your budget for an upgrade anyways?

ahah i m a noob mate. i m trying to follow you but i m not sure...

i think the idea to upgrade for a 2nd hand good video card , and some ram should be enough you are right...

now i m just confuse with the compatibility and this uefi/bios thing... i m trying to check on internet for specifications of rx480 and rx580 wich you can find second hand... but i m not sure what to look at in order to know if it would work with my motherboard...

should i go in the bios of my mother board and check ? or should i look at something specific in the specs of rams and video card that would tell me ?

thanks bytheway

I've already looked at your board, and there is no uefi support, so it's just legacy bios. It seems nvidia cards are more likely to work, so if ur on a budget, a gtx 1060 6gb or 970 can sometimes be had below $150, or a 3gb 1060 for ~$120. If looking at an amd card, I guess avoid sapphire brand and search the model number to find out if it is uefi only, if it doesn't say uefi only, you should be good...I hope. I ran a xfx r9 380x on my system that's legacy bios as well, so one can hope.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS