Question Upgrade time but unsure of parts

Kiroinor

Reputable
Dec 19, 2015
I'm looking to upgrade my computer system since my computer kept crashing to the Blue screen. Then after a little while later it will boot up to the windows logo then goes black. No graphics whatsoever. It wont even show the screen of F12 I think for the boot log? Cant remember honestly. So yeah time for the upgrades.

The computer is a HP Envy 700-414. 4th Gen Intel core i5-4570 processor. With a sad integrated HD graphics card 4600. 12gb DDR3 system memory.
The power supply went out about a year ago after the other problems above here. I'm looking to upgrade the power supply and put in a new graphics card. The things I'm unsure of is will the new upgrades work with everything, will it fit in my box and what other stuff should I need to upgrade. I've thought about buying a bigger box with better air flow since the pc gets hot and stays hot for awhile. Even though it has vents, it still dosen't help.

So what should I consider on the graphics card? I like something that can get good quality to stream on. That's a debatable question on choice.
I was thinking 800w power supply but do I need to go bigger?
Also does Gen's matter on the processor?
Also if anyone knows my earlier problems and knows what happened then I'd like to know.
I appreciate the help!

MetallicMonk

Respectable
Feb 16, 2019
It depends on your budget. PSU requirements will depend on what GPU and CPU combination you select. A new case is highly recommended. 12gb of RAM is an odd number. Are you using 3 sticks? You should always use multiples of 2 for dual channel memory.

Your i5-4570 is a decent mid range processor.
In theory, you could reasonably install a graphics card in the GTX1080 class
But, looking at your case, it has very little airflow to adequately cool a hot graphics card.
Coming from integrated graphics, I think you would be pleased with a GTX1050ti.
Such a card needs only a minimal psu.
A quality 450w psu would be fine.
I might use a 550w unit to allow a card.
The upcoming GTX1660ti which looks to be a very good card that will run on 450w.

But... considering the unresolved problems, perhaps it is time to think about a complete replacement.
Your motherboard is suspect but that is not easy to diagnose without replacing the motherboard.
I think if you want to do an upgrade, first take the pc to a shop to diagnose your problem.
They can swap parts in and you can then decide what makes sense.

Kiroinor

Reputable
Dec 19, 2015
It depends on your budget. PSU requirements will depend on what GPU and CPU combination you select. A new case is highly recommended. 12gb of RAM is an odd number. Are you using 3 sticks? You should always use multiples of 2 for dual channel memory.
16gb, two 8's. Cant remember if it had room for more but I should be fine with 16gb.

HDD yes, ram not likely as you have ddr3 now and any new build will need ddr4. The build posted in the pcpartpicker list is ok, but you could do better for less. Check the vid I posted, it has a parts list for 800 with a 1660ti. For 900, you could have a 2060. For $1000, you may even be able to get a 2070. All of which should outperform a 1070. The 1070, while still a great card, and I loved mine, you can do better for less.

MetallicMonk

Respectable
Feb 16, 2019
HDD yes, ram not likely as you have ddr3 now and any new build will need ddr4. The build posted in the pcpartpicker list is ok, but you could do better for less. Check the vid I posted, it has a parts list for 800 with a 1660ti. For 900, you could have a 2060. For $1000, you may even be able to get a 2070. All of which should outperform a 1070. The 1070, while still a great card, and I loved mine, you can do better for less.

I agree with Gmoney. The list I posted was more or less an example of what you can buy for your budget. However, you could get better deals by shopping around and selecting different parts.

You could go with the 7 2700 or 2700x, but for gaming the 2600/x should be plenty. And the 7 series is around $100 more. With room to upgrade to the 7 later and the 3xxx when it releases. I wouldn't go gen 1 As the price to performance isn't as good.

MetallicMonk updated list is a great build. Much better quality psu and ssd as he mentioned. And you'll still have room to grow when 3xxx is out.

TRENDING THREADS