UPGRADE TIME ???? IF SO WHAT ??? Or do I wait for 9th Gen ??

sighnbox

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
Hi Guys I built my current PC April 2012 and since then have just done a SSD upgrade and and Card up grade

My PC is a general hack comp...listing to music , watching films, the net .....I DON'T really do gaming (but have just brought Farming sim...waiting for Nov delivery) I do some times do a little vid and photo editing Pinnacle ultimate 20 and Paintshop Pro x9 Ultimate .......BUT I do like a nice PC and a fast one. (better to have it there if I do need it)

Ive been considering the i7 8700K OR the i9 7940x of course with a new MB and RAM but keeping the rest of my old PC

Any thoughts on what's the better upgrade for me of do I wait for the new 9th Gen Intel CPU's ??????

My current main parts (Built April 2012)

Asus P9X79 Deluxe Motherboard

Intel Core i7 3930K Enthusiast Unlocked, S 2011, Sandybridge-E, Six Core, 3.2GHz, 12MB Smart Cache, 130W, Retail

Asus GeForce GTX 1070 ROG STRIX OC GAMING 8GB GDDR5 VR Ready Graphics Card, 1920 Core, 1632 MHz GPU, 1835 MHz Boost

SAMSUNG 850 Pro 512Gb SSD

Windows 10 Pro

32GB Corsair DDR3 Vengeance LP PC3-12800 (1600), Non-ECC, CAS 8-8-8-24, XMP, 1.5V

Corsair H80i V2 CPU cooler

Cooler Master Silent Pro M 850w psu

Western Digital Black 1TB x 2 for storage drives SATA 6Gb/s

Western Digital 2TB my passport drive (Back up of back up drive)

Iiyama ProLite B2409HDS 24" monitors x 2 (dual screen)

Cooler Master Cosmos 1100 sport (powder coated black inside)

Solution
In what way is your current setup not doing the job?

Sounds like you have the budget to do whatever you want and have the itch to upgrade.

i7-8700k with a new motherboard and ddr4 would be an upgrade.
But, your parts are already very good and not likely to be causing any problem.

With the new 9th gen launching soon, I would wait for that.
You will get a choice of 6/8/16 threads.
I doubt that you can effectively use more than 6 for whatever you are doing.

Try a test by limiting the startup threads.
You can do this in the windows msconfig boot advanced options option.
You will need to reboot for the change to take effect. Set the number of threads to less than you have.
This will tell you how sensitive your games/apps are to the...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Are you getting any use out of that 32Gb of ram? Or is it mostly just sitting there never using more than 10 or 12Gb. With the price of ram nowadays, if you don't use it, no point in having it, or spending several hundred dollars more for it.

Personally, most is transferable over although the cooler is getting long in the tooth, approaching its usable life expectancy before the fluid evaporates. I'd keep the card, ssd, hdd, psu. Case is upto you, it's a nice case, but it's doubtful you'll really need E-ATX with the speeds and power available in CoffeeLake or better or 2nd Gen Ryzens.

So figuring out all your needs, vrs what you want exactly is kinda a personal thing. Are you wanting to start completely over, and keep that as a spare, or use it as a render machine and have another for daily use?

In what way is your current setup not doing the job?

Sounds like you have the budget to do whatever you want and have the itch to upgrade.

i7-8700k with a new motherboard and ddr4 would be an upgrade.
But, your parts are already very good and not likely to be causing any problem.

With the new 9th gen launching soon, I would wait for that.
You will get a choice of 6/8/16 threads.
I doubt that you can effectively use more than 6 for whatever you are doing.

Try a test by limiting the startup threads.
You can do this in the windows msconfig boot advanced options option.
You will need to reboot for the change to take effect. Set the number of threads to less than you have.
This will tell you how sensitive your games/apps are to the benefits of many threads.
If you see little difference, you do not need all the threads you have.

Since you have the itch, go ahead and scratch it.

I might also suggest a large 4k monitor as an upgrade.
If you have the desk space, keep your two 24" monitors as side monitors.

Solution

sighnbox

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
Hi guys thanks for the advice ......I'm really only looking to upgrade as I feel my system is out of date it all works fine (Built 2012) and no way can complain about it as its served me very very well and worked flawless for coming up nearly 7 years

I don't like to let things get to old as then its easy to upgrade parts as you go .....Rather than let it get so old then have to build a whole new machine .......

As I say most of the time it just cruises along the only time it even slightly works is Video editing/rendering .......and that's just HD not 4K

I have looked at 4k monitor upgrade a few times but when I did look there didn't seam to be the content out there to make it worth while (may be different now) and would be nice.....

The H80i V2 was only put in recently last 2 year as the old one sounded funny I phoned Corsair and was sent a new one under Guarantee (in fact they sent me two so I have a brand new one still unopened upstairs) So if its still up for the job ??????

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Oh definitely, especially since you have a spare. It'll handle a 8700k in most everything except the most brutal apps, but you'd need serious cooling for that anyways. If your apps are highly core dependent I'd even look at the Ryzen 2700x as a possibility along with the Intel 9 series.

Since gaming AAA titles is pretty much off the table, the 1070 at 4k is still viable, especially if dropped down to 1080p if any games do get funky fps, but for the Sims series it'll be fine. As a primary monitor for things like Photoshop, it'll take a little adjusting to, as details will be considerably more evident

The i7-8086K is actually a well binned i7-8700K that will overclock well.
Consensus is that the 8086K is not worth it because the price premium over 8700K.
Of course, worth is something only YOU can determine.

I think you are looking at a top build, and for that, plan on a I9-9900K (8 cores, 16 threads) which should launch soon.
The new 9th gen K processors will have soldered heat spreaders and are expected to OC better than the current 8th gen products.

If you get anxious and buy 8086K now, you are likely to have buyer's remorse within the month.
Patience...

TRENDING THREADS