[SOLVED] Upgrade time, long time coming!

SBF76

Commendable
Mar 24, 2020
Hi all,

I've not upgraded my PC's GPU for ages - currently, I'm running an AMD 6850, teamed with a Core i5 CPU on a GA-Z87-DS3H motherboard. I was looking at the GeForce GTX 1660 6GB but before going ahead, I need to know if that'll fit on my motherboard? I think I'm OK for power - Corsair TX650w PSU and will also be upgrading my RAM to 16gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 as I believe DDR4 is not compatible with my motherboard.

Will that card fit and if not, what would be the most powerful card I could fit on my motherboard with a budget of up to £200, and that's pushing it. I'm hoping to run Red Dead Redemption 2 at reasonably high levels, although I have never minded turning the settings down if it means better frame rates.

One other thing - I'm playing on a 40in HD TV, not a monitor.

Many thanks in advance!

Solution
Your motherboard and power supply can probably handle any graphics card on the market today. Your CPU, on the other hand, might limit the functionality of higher-end cards. I'd say you're good to go with a GTX 1660

-Wolf sends

SBF76

Commendable
Mar 24, 2020
The physical specifications of PCI Express have not changed since the original. It will physically fit in your motherboard.

-Wolf sends

Wow, that has got to be the fastest reply I've ever received! Many thanks. Would you say that card would be at the higher end of what my motherboard and PSU can handle? One last thing, I'm a novice when it comes to installing hardware, would it simply be a case of unplugging the cables from the 6850 and plugging them back in to the new GPU?

Thanks again and stay safe everyone.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Your motherboard and power supply can probably handle any graphics card on the market today. Your CPU, on the other hand, might limit the functionality of higher-end cards. I'd say you're good to go with a GTX 1660

-Wolf sends

Solution

SBF76

Commendable
Mar 24, 2020
I finally got my GPU today after delayed delivery and all installed fine; no issues with drivers either; I made sure that all trace of AMD/ATI was extinguished from my system. Next I'll probably have a go at upgrading the CPU; it appears that the Core i7-4790K is my ceiling with this motherboard. Thanks to Wolf for your help.