[SOLVED] Upgrade to 1680 v2, PC loop reboots in 2 seconds...

pduke7

Prominent
Sep 7, 2018
Hi all!
My rig has this GA-X79S-UP5-WIFI with 32GB DDR3 1600 RAM. Was using a XEON 2670 as a replacement after my 3930K died. Last week i ordered a XEON 1680 v2 from eBay in order to max out my X79 and stay with it for a couple more years.
So to the point...
As soon as i put the 1680 in the socket and try to boot, the system reboots in 2 seconds.
From what i observed:
GPU 580x: Lights up /Fans start
Got water-cooling, i think pump starts
CPU fans : DOES NOT START (if it means something ....)

...and reboots for ever.

i know my mobo is a weird from the factory. I tried bios f5c(modded) and f5f (beta), no result. Didn't try f4 yet but i think it will be in vain. The reboot is so fast that i really do not believe bios can solve this. Plus f5 declares compatibility with V2 XEONs. Oh and worst of all, i own the rev1.0 which does not support f5 bios (on paper at least....) but i have tried it anyways and it works fine.

So does anybody can make something out of all these information?
The problem here is that i can't understand if the CPU i ordered is faulty or just my motherboard does not support it. And i can't find any other X79 motherboard nearby, to try it.

cheers all!

Solution
Back with results.
Find myself an ASUS X79 Deluxe. The CPU is not listed in its support list as well but it works fine. So end of story for the CPU part.
Furthermore after lots of searching it turns out that no gigabyte rev 1.0 will post with this CPU. rev 1.1 though, they do boot normally.
So this is the end of this journey.
Thanks for taking the time and supporting my search. Been very helpfull
(y)

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Well, if the old cpu still works with the bios mod, the next thing I would do is question the validity of the 1680 v2 itself.
Defective cpu? An engineering sample? Any damage on the chip itself? Does the seller you bought it from have a good reputation?

Take a picture of the cpu and post it using imgur.com

Reactions: pduke7

pduke7

Prominent
Sep 7, 2018
Yeah old cpu works with all bioses i tried.
ok i cleaned the paste and shot it as clean as i could.
q5l7u8y.jpg

v7PmCQa.jpg

*EDIT: ebay seller has a 99,9% rating with ~4500 feedbacks

Last edited:

pduke7

Prominent
Sep 7, 2018
Yes this is the website. At this point - i am writing on the same PC - i run gigabyte's F5f beta bios. It was my last try after the modded one failed to make 1680 work.
You believe one stick could make a difference? i can give it a try. i might as well try F4 bios.
Thing is, is this behaviour common on not recognisable CPU s? at least gigabyte ones.

pduke7

Prominent
Sep 7, 2018
ah i hide it under the photos..
ebay seller has a 99,9% rating with ~4500 feedbacks.
That was the reason i bought it.
So yo say it is common like gigabyte behaviour for not supported CPUs as well or should i expect something like "CPU is not supported" message?

pduke7

Prominent
Sep 7, 2018
Tried F4 bios and 1 stick ram. Nothing changed. Sent a email to gigabyte as well but they say 3-7 days reply. Not good.
Looking at the picture of the CPU again, what could this "MY" be?? i have seen COSTA RICA and MALAY 1680's but ...MY ....??

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Normal for any motherboard if it can't recognize the cpu. Just to confirm, is there a red cpu light on the motherboard when you try to boot?
You mobo appears to have pretty good compatibility with the cpu: Xeon E5-1680 v2 Compatible Motherboards

I wouldn't expect any support from Gigabyte on the matter. The cpu isn't officially supported on the motherboard. You are on your own when it comes to bios mods, which is a violation of manufacturers' warranties = they're not going to help you once they know what's up.
Neither of the 2 bioses worked, but the other Xeon was fine - I'd take it you got a bad cpu.

I was thinking MY was abbreviated Malaysia, but some cpus have Malaysia fully printed on them...

pduke7

Prominent
Sep 7, 2018
Got an answer form Gigabyte. They are quite fast actually...
"Yes, such behaviour is the common for a gigabyte X79 board on an unrecognisable CPU.

Because this CPU is not supported, so that with this CPU the system can not boot up, and also can not determine if the CPU have fault.
"

So while i can't be absolutely sure, it seems that the motherboard is unable to recognise this CPU.
After a little bit of digging i believe that all X79 Gigabyte motherboards do no support V2 XEONs on their 1.0 Revision.
All the rev. 1.1 on the other hand, they do support them.
The only such boards are the 3 below:
  1. GA-X79S-UP5-WIFI(rev. 1.1)
  2. GA-X79-UP4 (rev. 1.1)
  3. GA-X79-UD3 (rev. 1.1)
There is so little information about 1680V2 CPU in the net that makes it very hard to learn.
So far only Asus X79 boards seem to have content on the internet that proves compatibility with this XEON.
So if anyone bumps on this post and have any knowledge please share.
I will update this is i finally find the answer.

@Phaaze88 thanks a million for your time man !

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Yep, that's the response I expected from them. If it isn't officially compatible, support will give you the generic 'it won't work' response, and that includes bios mods.

Are you sure about those 3 motherboards? Did the Gigabyte rep tell you they support E5 1680 V2?
I looked at those lists and E5 1680 V2 isn't on any of them.

These boards are the ones that officially support this cpu: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...-processor-e5-1680-v2-25m-cache-3-00-ghz.html
It's mostly server boards. You would've gotten a different response if you had one of these.
Again, as far as manufacturers are concerned, you're on your own with unofficial stuff.

There is another thing that comes to mind about why the mod isn't working. It may be that there is another file you were supposed to download?
On the site where you downloaded the modded bios, at the top of the X79 modded bios list, there is mention of Intel Management Engine firmware that you may need to update.
The necessary firmware may be missing, and that's why the cpu doesn't boot. The firmware link is at the top of the X79 modded bios list, but you should check which version you already have to be sure, via this link:
https://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/54860-intel-management-engine-firmware.html#post469076

Reactions: pduke7

pduke7

Prominent
Sep 7, 2018
Are you sure about those 3 motherboards? Did the Gigabyte rep tell you they support E5 1680 V2?
I looked at those lists and E5 1680 V2 isn't on any of them.
No, but in the CPU support list only these 3 support V2 XEONS.

These boards are the ones that officially support this cpu: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...-processor-e5-1680-v2-25m-cache-3-00-ghz.html
It's mostly server boards. You would've gotten a different response if you had one of these.
Again, as far as manufacturers are concerned, you're on your own with unofficial stuff.
Either way 1680V2 is like a phantom. It is nowhere. You can't even find it in the listings of intel... Only through google search. Asus, Gigabyte, MSI noone names the 1680v2 in any list. Nowhere! all lists stop at 1660v2. But i know it works on a X79 sabertooth or deluxe even it is not listed in their respective cpu support page.

There is another thing that comes to mind about why the mod isn't working. It may be that there is another file you were supposed to download?
On the site where you downloaded the modded bios, at the top of the X79 modded bios list, there is mention of Intel Management Engine firmware that you may need to update.
The necessary firmware may be missing, and that's why the cpu doesn't boot. The firmware link is at the top of the X79 modded bios list, but you should check which version you already have to be sure, via this link:
https://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/54860-intel-management-engine-firmware.html#post469076
Just to make things clear. As i stated above, i have flashed the official F5f from gigabyte ( https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-X79S-UP5-WIFI-rev-11/support#support-dl-bios ). I tested with the modded (f5c) but it didn't work, then i jumped to the F5f. F5f is the latest driver from GA to the rev 1.1 of my mobo(mine is 1.0). And it supports V2 XEONS. That is why i flashed it.

Now the Intel Management Engine firmware is something i never heard before and i am more than happy to explore, test and report back. Still, do you suggest reflashing the modded bios or staying with the GA Beta one before proceeding to the above update?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Since E5 1680 V2 isn't officially supported on that mobo, Gigabyte's F5f isn't going to work. I know other V2 Xeons are on that list, but none of those are yours.
I'd trust that list to mean that NONE of Gigabyte's official bioses contain the id code for the E5 1680 V2.
You need to use the F5c modded one.

pduke7

Prominent
Sep 7, 2018
Back with results.
Find myself an ASUS X79 Deluxe. The CPU is not listed in its support list as well but it works fine. So end of story for the CPU part.
Furthermore after lots of searching it turns out that no gigabyte rev 1.0 will post with this CPU. rev 1.1 though, they do boot normally.
So this is the end of this journey.
Thanks for taking the time and supporting my search. Been very helpfull
(y)

Solution