[SOLVED] upgrade to 3070?

Quickless

Reputable
Nov 10, 2019
Hi, I might get a 3070 to replace my 1060. Its just not cutting it for VR games and i really need an upgrade. But I do not know if my power suppy can even handle the 3070. I am going to most likely be overclocking it with MSI Afterburner. I just want to make sure it will work out for me. Thanks.

Heres my build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/r6B2Qq

Solution
maybe you guys can send me a psu i can upgrade to, an amazon link to be preferred. I know amazon is overpriced [mod redacted] but i have 160 dollars worth of funds in my amazon account. Im not good at picking out parts so its best to just ask the 200 iq people on toms hardware.

Just run the card with the CX550 and if you have issues just replace it with a nice 550/650 Watts model like a Corsair RMX or a Seasonic Focus Gold.
RTX series and it's power spikes could trigger that 550 Watts CX surge protection and just shut down the system. We saw this in a lot of Youtube video of the RTX series where the recommend PSU was not enough when these RTX cards was spiking taking more juice than expected.

You should be fine with that CX 550 but if your system just shut down you will know why.

As an example Linus installed a RTX 3090 with a 850 Watts power supply and it wasn't even enough. That damn 3090 was triggering the 850 Watts Corsair RM surge protection.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Nvidia is recommending a 650W unit, but that accounts for varied quality, multi-rail PSUs etc.

RTX 3000 are spiking higher, no doubt. but with the balance of the components here, the 3070 would have to spike substantially higher (relatively speaking) than a 3080 to cause any issues...

Theoretically possible, and something to be aware of, sure... but unlikely.

Nvidia is recommending a 650W unit, but that accounts for varied quality, multi-rail PSUs etc.

RTX 3000 are spiking higher, no doubt. but with the balance of the components here, the 3070 would have to spike substantially higher (relatively speaking) than a 3080 to cause any issues...

Yeah you're probably right. It's just hard to look at a CX 550 model with any card like that. I think a GPU of this caliber should be paired with a good model like the RM, RMX or a good Seasonic but that's just me. I think OP's system will draw like 400 Watts max. Like you said if the 3070 spike I doubt it will spike another 150 watts. I just cringe when I see a CX nowadays. I would rather recommend a TXM, RM, RMx. Especially if the CX is the green model. if it's the green CX model I wouldn't even plug the 3070 on it.

Quickless

Reputable
Nov 10, 2019
Yeah you're probably right. It's just hard to look at a CX 550 model with any card like that. I think a GPU of this caliber should be paired with a good model like the RM, RMX or a good Seasonic but that's just me. I think OP's system will draw like 400 Watts max. Like you said if the 3070 spike I doubt it will spike another 150 watts. I just cringe when I see a CX nowadays. I would rather recommend a TXM, RM, RMx. Especially if the CX is the green model. if it's the green CX model I wouldn't even plug the 3070 on it.

maybe you guys can send me a psu i can upgrade to, an amazon link to be preferred. I know amazon is overpriced [mod redacted] but i have 160 dollars worth of funds in my amazon account. Im not good at picking out parts so its best to just ask the 200 iq people on toms hardware.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator

Agreed - IF the OP was buying new. The CX550 isn't too terrible, and since they already have it, they're not risking anything by running it. There's sufficient protections in place to avoid anything other than inconvenience if they experience random shutdowns.

The CX5550 is a grey label. The CX#00 were green - and that would be a different story.

If replacing, I'd suggest 650W for some additional headroom.
Unfortunately, Amazon pricing isn't great.

I'd recommend, in this order:

Focus Gold 650 from Seasonic at $110 is probably the best deal there:
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/qn...ified-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-ssr-650fm

SuperFlower Leadex III for $120:
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Vb...ed-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-sf-650f14hg

EVGA G3 for ~$123
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/y8...ed-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-220-g3-0650

TX650M is >$130. Good PSU, but I wouldn't pay that much for it, relative to the others.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/PV...d-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020132-na

Reactions: Nemesia
Agreed - IF the OP was buying new. The CX550 isn't too terrible, and since they already have it, they're not risking anything by running it. There's sufficient protections in place to avoid anything other than inconvenience if they experience random shutdowns.

The CX5550 is a grey label. The CX#00 were green - and that would be a different story.

You're right. 500 watts can be the green one. 550 is grey.

I guess the OP is fine with the CX550.

Just run the card with the CX550 and if you have issues just replace it with a nice 550/650 Watts model like a Corsair RMX or a Seasonic Focus Gold.

Solution