[SOLVED] Upgrade to 3080, no performance increase, then a decrease

dempseyjosh

Honorable
Dec 28, 2015
So I upgraded a 1650 to a 3080 and so no increase in warzone. So I poked around my system and notice my 3200mhz ram showed at 1600 through task manager. I went ahead and updated my bios on my asrock b450 and the ram showed up at 2133mhz, but I saw a terrible drop in performance in warzone.
I'm at a loss on what to do, does anyone have any suggestions?
mobo: asrock b450 pro4
Cpu: ryzen 7 1700x
Gpu : Rtx 3080
Ram: 16gb 3200mhz gskill
psu: corsair rm750

Last edited:
Solution
Your Mobo should be just fine, an x570 has more features, PCei gen 4, more usb ports, inproved VRM, chipset cooling,SAM can be enabled etc, etc but nothing that will really change your gaming FPS, your CPU and GPU will always be the main thing. Everything else is tweaking optimization, from what you just wrote and I said it before your CPU is just getting a bit long in the tooth for a top level gpu. Good luck and good gaming with the new CPU !!!

dempseyjosh

Honorable
Dec 28, 2015
ddr mean double data rate
1600x2 is 3200. it was running correctly.
go back to bios and turn on xmp memory profile

what the make and model of the psu?
cpu/gpu temp and usage during the game?

Xmp profile was set to auto and I saw that increase through task manager. I tried to set a 1600 profile but 1866 is the lowest to select manually

The PSU is a new corsair rm750

I've never tracked the temps. I was judging performance by my fps. I only turned the game on briefly after the upgrade today.

Last edited:

dempseyjosh

Honorable
Dec 28, 2015
I tried to set the xmp to 3200 and windows won't boot. Switch back to auto and task manager shows it at 2133.
Warzone still sees no increase, and in general things feel just a little slower(but It might be in my head)

dempseyjosh

Honorable
Dec 28, 2015
I set it to 2933 and it DID work.

Then I sent to userbenchmark and came to the conclusion my ram was underperforming. I looked and realized they were in slot a1, a2. not a1, b1.

so I switched that and it wouldn't boot, until I brought the speed for the ram back down. And now user benchmark shows my cpu is underperforming.

* sigh * any suggestions?

Last edited:

tbjerry07

Commendable
Apr 14, 2018
I set it to 2933 and it DID work.

Then I sent to userbenchmark and came to the conclusion my ram was underperforming. I looked and realized they were in slot a1, a2. not a1, b1.

so I switched that and it wouldn't boot, until I brought the speed for the ram back down. And now user benchmark shows my cpu is underperforming.

sigh any suggestions?

Ram problems aside, I am wondering what you were thinking when you paired a 3080 with a first gen ryzen processor. The processor can barely keep up with a 10 series graphics card. Considering you are running a 3080, which is miles ahead of a 1080ti, you should really consider upgrading your processor. A 5800x would be a good start, if you can't find one then a 3700x will do.

The RAM problems are pretty obvious as the IMCs on 1st gen ryzens were notoriously bad, even with samsung b-die they rarely go past 2933mhz, so what you are getting right now is pretty standard performance. It is not a limitation on the ram, but the processor.

Reactions: General Kenobi

dempseyjosh

Honorable
Dec 28, 2015
Ram problems aside, I am wondering what you were thinking when you paired a 3080 with a first gen ryzen processor. The processor can barely keep up with a 10 series graphics card. Considering you are running a 3080, which is miles ahead of a 1080ti, you should really consider upgrading your processor. A 5800x would be a good start, if you can't find one then a 3700x will do.

The RAM problems are pretty obvious as the IMCs on 1st gen ryzens were notoriously bad, even with samsung b-die they rarely go past 2933mhz, so what you are getting right now is pretty standard performance. It is not a limitation on the ram, but the processor.

I was thinking that I got lucky when I scored the 3080, and only got it because the opportunity was there. The cpu upgrade will come next, when I can find it. I was also thinking the 5800

I still expected more of an increase of what i'm seeing.

tbjerry07

Commendable
Apr 14, 2018
I was thinking that I got lucky when I scored the 3080, and only got it because the opportunity was there. The cpu upgrade will come next, when I can find it. I was also thinking the 5800

I still expected more of an increase of what i'm seeing.

Are you getting less frames in games? Can you post pictures of your Frequency and voltage tabs in the bios?

dempseyjosh

Honorable
Dec 28, 2015
I did get the ram set to 2800, and it seems to be good. But game performance still seems to be lacking. It also feels like it starts strong then dips down almost to the same performance I was getting previously. But that might just be me looking at the numbers way harder than I did before.

avg before was at a 720p resolution at 55-75fps pretty regularly, but I was getting less after the gpu was put in, before fiddling with the ram.

now I set it to 1080p and it seemed 80-90fps was normal, but I saw as high as 125 and as low as 65.

I ran windows memory diagnostic and came up with no issues. I've made no other changes.

unless anyone has any suggestions, I guess i'll ride it out and see what I get when I upgrade my cpu

Last edited:

dempseyjosh

Honorable
Dec 28, 2015
I think that's what you were looking for
IMG-20210125-003651.jpg

Last edited:

tbjerry07

Commendable
Apr 14, 2018
Thank you, the picture is very helpful.
Your ram chips are not samsung chips, which isnt a problem, this just tells me how high your memory realistically can go.

Do not use the XMP settings as they will not work with your processor.

If you are comfortable keying in settings manually, here is what I would suggest for your system:

Ram Frequency: 2933
tcl: 16
trcdwr: 17
trcdrd: 18
tras: 32
trc: 52

Leave all other timings on auto or default

Enable Gear down mode as well (it may be in advanced dram config or somewhere else, I do not own an asrock mobo)

And finally set DRAM voltage to 1.35V

The Ryzen first gen while a huge upgrade on what AMD had offered is light years behind what is now on the table, it cannot keep the 3080 fed with enough info fast enough for you to see an FPS improvement, also what is your PSU? 750-850w? I have had many cards in my time, presently a 6800xt and before that an rtx 2080, GTX1060etc etc. Today they need a lot of power and headroom for power "spikes", if you are on a 650w PSU or lower you are cutting it very fine.

Also 2 seperate psu-pcie cable's will give more stability and cleaner power than a 2 header single cable to you GPU.

The Ryzen 1700 "can" run up to 3400mhz RAM if it is supported by your motherbaords QVC list but to be honest that CPU, Mobo, VRMS etc were built with a lower level of hardware in mind.

If your system is a few years old for your own sake check you PSU is upto the job as it is the foundation of the whole system, you are asking plenty putting a 320w+ GPU on that config.

So I upgraded a 1650 to a 3080 and so no increase in warzone. So I poked around my system and notice my 3200mhz ram showed at 1600 through task manager. I went ahead and updated my bios on my asrock b450 and the ram showed up at 2133mhz, but I saw a terrible drop in performance in warzone.
I'm at a loss on what to do, does anyone have any suggestions?
Cpu: ryzen 7 1700x
Gpu : Rtx 3080
Ram: 16gb 3200mhz gskill
Hello there!
You are kinda bottlenecked by your CPU not by cores though but by the frequency of your cores and as others have mentioned you ram was running currently,turn on XMP and you should be good to go

Imo 5800x won't be a good upgrade I mean you are only upgrading to faster cores so imo get the 5900X, but I definitely get what you mean by ".... good start"I'm just giving my opinion on that processor. @dempseyjosh at what resolution and what types of games do you exactly play?

dempseyjosh

Honorable
Dec 28, 2015
The Ryzen first gen while a huge upgrade on what AMD had offered is light years behind what is now on the table, it cannot keep the 3080 fed with enough info fast enough for you to see an FPS improvement, also what is your PSU? 750-850w? I have had many cards in my time, presently a 6800xt and before that an rtx 2080, GTX1060etc etc. Today they need a lot of power and headroom for power "spikes", if you are on a 650w PSU or lower you are cutting it very fine.

Also 2 seperate psu-pcie cable's will give more stability and cleaner power than a 2 header single cable to you GPU.

The Ryzen 1700 "can" run up to 3400mhz RAM if it is supported by your motherbaords QVC list but to be honest that CPU, Mobo, VRMS etc were built with a lower level of hardware in mind.

If your system is a few years old for your own sake check you PSU is upto the job as it is the foundation of the whole system, you are asking plenty putting a 320w+ GPU on that config.

The PSU is a corsair rm750. I also powered the card on two separate cables.
I understand the CPU is due for an update, but I didn't realize the mobo was too.

dempseyjosh

Honorable
Dec 28, 2015
Imo 5800x won't be a good upgrade I mean you are only upgrading to faster cores so imo get the 5900X, but I definitely get what you mean by ".... good start"I'm just giving my opinion on that processor. @dempseyjosh at what resolution and what types of games do you exactly play?
I was thinking the same thing as you. That the CPU upgrade would be good but it wasn't going to be drastic. but it seems I must have an issue somewhere, because I should be getting better performance.
I play COD, my kids play fortnite,Roblox and The Sims.
Most of the settings I have for COD or on low. 1080p resolution with 144hz monitor. and I'm getting less than 100 FPS on average.

The games that the kids play are going to be default settings.

I was thinking the same thing as you. That the CPU upgrade would be good but it wasn't going to be drastic. but it seems I must have an issue somewhere, because I should be getting better performance.
I play COD, my kids play fortnite,Roblox and The Sims.
Most of the settings I have for COD or on low. 1080p resolution with 144hz monitor. and I'm getting less than 100 FPS on average.

The games that the kids play are going to be default settings.
For 1080p the 3080 is too OP and as I mentioned in my previous post you are bottlenecked by your CPU clock speed you can only see a performace difference when you upgrade your CPU but realistically speaking you don't get 3080 to play games at 1080p if it was 1440p-yes . My recommendation is if possible get a 5900x when available. Don't plan on getting a 3000 series CPU now and later 5000 series.Do an upgrade only once.

dempseyjosh

Honorable
Dec 28, 2015
For 1080p the 3080 is too OP and as I mentioned in my previous post you are bottlenecked by your CPU clock speed you can only see a performace difference when you upgrade your CPU but realistically speaking you don't get 3080 to play games at 1080p if it was 1440p-yes . My recommendation is if possible get a 5900x when available. Don't plan on getting a 3000 series CPU now and later 5000 series.Do an upgrade only once.

Okay, I just ordered the ryzen 7 5800x. I'll let you guys know the results. I'll be looking for help if it doesn't get the performance up to where it should be.
The 3080 may be overkill for 1080p, but it gives me the ability to upgrade my monitor. And if it's OP, I shouldn't see poor performance, it should just handle it with ease.

Last edited:

tbjerry07

Commendable
Apr 14, 2018
Okay, I just ordered the ryzen 7 5800x. I'll let you guys know the results. I'll be looking for help if it doesn't get the performance up to where it should be.
The 3080 may be overkill for 1080p, but it gives me the ability to upgrade my monitor. And if it's OP, I shouldn't see poor performance, it should just handle it with ease.

Make sure you flash your bios to the latest version as older ones that come with the board won't support newer processors.

Yes you are right if you plan on getting a monitor,the reason you are seeing poor performance is because of your CPU, already at 1080p you are CPU bottlenecked even with a 5900x but in your case 8 core isn't bad it's just slow the clock speed and IPC improvement from Zen 2/3 would make the situation better.
Let me kinda explain what's happening, your CPU is actually not fast enough to keep your GPU busy, it gets at its max frequency (which is less) and even at its max speed it isn't giving enough information to the GPU to get it at max potential and thus limiting your performace.
Also check that you have or upgrade to a bios that runs the processor:)

GregoryDude

Distinguished
May 16, 2015
Side note, as we know the CPU is huge bottleneck at 1080p. But have you checked you are running the PCIe at x16 and 3.0 speeds? You can usually check through the bios or download GPU-Z and check that way. You probably have but just to make sure and if not, make the appropriate changes in your bios:

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/PUBATTLEGROUNDS/comments/aniuhx/psa_check_your_pcie_speeds_mine_was_running_at_1x/

BTW, you can get away with gaming at 4k with that CPU you have now and see relevant 4k performance similar to newer CPUs.