[SOLVED] Upgrade to 3080 with same hardware?

Jan 4, 2020
Hello everybody!

I would like to know if it make sense to upgrade just my GPU to a 3080 keeping my current hardware or should I change everything else as the GPU is heavy limited by the rest?

Thank you very much in advance!

CURRENT:

CPU: Ryzen 2600x six core 3,6 ghz
Motherboard: Gigabyte b450 AORUS M
Ram: 16gb DDR4 channel : dual
SSD/HDD: KingSTON SA1000M8240G (OS) + 1 hybrid, and 1 ssd
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 1070 GTX INNO3D
PSU: Thermaltake Smart SE 730W
Chassis: ---

Solution
Thank you. What PSU would you suggest? Do you know if the dimension are the same so it's gonna fit in the old case or..? Thank you

I've always rolled with Corsair units, had good results. Here is the Tom's Hardware Best PSUs list

I believe Nvidia is recommending a 750 watt PSU with a RTX 3080. Depending on the price difference, I'd be temped to get a 850 watt PSU so that you don't have to keep upgrading your PSU every time power requirements go up for the next best Nvidia GPU (like a theoretical RTX 5080 in 4 years for example). A good PSU should be considered an investment.

ATX PSUs all have the same height and width, but generally speaking as the wattage increases, the depth of the PSU increases a bit (it protrudes...
Jan 4, 2020
As already suggested you need a better psu than that.

If your aim is to play at 4k on the TV the 3080 is a good choice.

At 1080p it would be an absolute waste of your money.

Thank you!

Also: They also suggested to upgrade my Ryzen with a new one (or wait the new one) to avoid the bottleneck since the new GPU would be limited with my old gear. What do you think? Thanks again.

Thank you!

Also: They also suggested to upgrade my Ryzen with a new one (or wait the new one) to avoid the bottleneck since the new GPU would be limited with my old gear. What do you think? Thanks again.

A newer Ryzen CPU would provide you with better results, but its not required to enjoy a new GPU.

As mentioned, your PSU looks like the most important thing to upgrade in your build, everything else is fine.

Jan 4, 2020
A newer Ryzen CPU would provide you with better results, but its not required to enjoy a new GPU.

As mentioned, your PSU looks like the most important thing to upgrade in your build, everything else is fine.

Thank you. What PSU would you suggest? Do you know if the dimension are the same so it's gonna fit in the old case or..? Thank you

I've always rolled with Corsair units, had good results. Here is the Tom's Hardware Best PSUs list

I believe Nvidia is recommending a 750 watt PSU with a RTX 3080. Depending on the price difference, I'd be temped to get a 850 watt PSU so that you don't have to keep upgrading your PSU every time power requirements go up for the next best Nvidia GPU (like a theoretical RTX 5080 in 4 years for example). A good PSU should be considered an investment.

ATX PSUs all have the same height and width, but generally speaking as the wattage increases, the depth of the PSU increases a bit (it protrudes further into your case). This is unlikely to cause you any issues.

Solution
Jan 4, 2020

ATX PSUs all have the same height and width, but generally speaking as the wattage increases, the depth of the PSU increases a bit (it protrudes further into your case). This is unlikely to cause you any issues.

Thank you! I see Corsair are among the best. I honestly can't understand the difference between AX850, RM850 and RMX850 (the RM and RMX could be ok for my budget, AX850 is TOO expensive).