[SOLVED] Upgrade to 3600 or keep 2700x

Silamon

Honorable
May 14, 2014
Hello to all you wonderful folks at tom's hardware, I have a bit of a question for you all.

I have a ryzen 2700x installed in an MSI x470 pro carbon motherboard. A friend of mine has a ryzen 1300x installed in an msi b350 tomahawk motherboard.

I just ordered a ryzen 3600 processor to upgrade my friend's pc so he can stream on twitch better. My question would be, should I install this 3600 in my own pc and give him the 2700x or just install the 3600 in his rig?

I know the 2700x would be better for streaming. I don't really stream myself, but I am not sure if I like the idea of putting a 2700x into such a cheap motherboard. I looked around and saw some folks saying it works fine and others saying the vrms will overheat.

What would your opinions be on this?

Solution
So the 2700x would work fine in the b350 board?
If it is on the motherboard's supported list, it will most likely work as the other option means drastically increased support costs.

As for the Tomahawk being "such a cheap board", it is on par with pretty much all other b350 motherboards. The B*50 boards are the intended go-to mainstream products, AMD would be in deep trouble if significantly sub-par B-series (or any series for that matter) motherboards were common.

InvalidError

Titan
VRM overheating is only a concern when overclocking for the most part or using an aftermarket HSF that obstructs airflow around the VRM. Nearly all mainstream boards have the same VRM config (3-4 phases with doubled-up FETs), so there is little point in fretting over one mainstream board over another, they are all similarly "crappy" when compared to high-end boards' 10+ phases.

Silamon

Honorable
May 14, 2014
VRM overheating is only a concern when overclocking for the most part or using an aftermarket HSF that obstructs airflow around the VRM. Nearly all mainstream boards have the same VRM config (3-4 phases with doubled-up FETs), so there is little point in fretting over one mainstream board over another, they are all similarly "crappy" when compared to high-end boards' 10+ phases.
So the 2700x would work fine in the b350 board? It would certainly not be getting overclocked.

InvalidError

Titan
So the 2700x would work fine in the b350 board?
If it is on the motherboard's supported list, it will most likely work as the other option means drastically increased support costs.

As for the Tomahawk being "such a cheap board", it is on par with pretty much all other b350 motherboards. The B*50 boards are the intended go-to mainstream products, AMD would be in deep trouble if significantly sub-par B-series (or any series for that matter) motherboards were common.

Solution

neiler0847

Reputable
Mar 25, 2015
The CPU is really only one factor. Memory, GPU, disk all factor in too.

Having said that, you're choosing between two rockstar processors which, ultimately, aren't that different. It's a good problem to have!

If streaming can use those extra threads, put the 2700X in your friend's machine.

TRENDING THREADS