Upgrade to 64 bit worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crypta

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2011
So I've upgraded my cpu from AMD Athlon 64x2 2.0ghz to AMD Athlon 64x2 2.7ghz on my old Dimension E521 desktop,and I'm wondering about squeezing yet more performance out of this machine.
Would buying 1 more gb ram (currently have 3) and doing a clean install of win 7 home premium 64 bit be worth the hassle? current OS is Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit.

basic specs of my comp.

Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit sp 1.
AMD Athlon 64x2 2.7ghz
3gb ddr2 ram 667mhz
NVIDIA GeForce GT 220 Video Memory 1.00 GB

would I notice any difference in speed if I am able ti use that 64 bit OS?

My wifes Alienware laptop came with win 7 home premium 64 bit and I have the instalation dvd. Could I put that in this computer even though it came from alienware? or does that even matter? Like is there something special about the win7 64 bit from alienware that it will only work on alienware? forgive me I'm a noob when comes to this stuff. would I notice any difference in speed if I am able ti use that 64 bit OS? thanks

I am 99% sure that my motherboard will only support 4gb ram. like I dont think i can put 2gb sticks of ram in all 4 slots. so is it worth it to really only be gaining 500mb ram?
32 bit can only see around 3.5gb right?

Solution
You won't see any difference between 3 and 4 gig unless you are doing lots of video encoding or open large CAD files and such.

You can't use the Alienware disk on another system, many OEM disks look for specific hardware and won't even run on anything else, and if they do run, the license key from the other system may not work.
You won't see any difference between 3 and 4 gig unless you are doing lots of video encoding or open large CAD files and such.

You can't use the Alienware disk on another system, many OEM disks look for specific hardware and won't even run on anything else, and if they do run, the license key from the other system may not work.

Solution

crypta

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2011

ok thank you I kinda figured that would be the case. ty for input

Status
Not open for further replies.