Upgrade to a 5870?

kohd

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
Hey there, I know there is a decent amount of 5xxx posts here...but I was hoping some video card gurus could give me their opinions on my specific situation.

Atm I have an i7 920 @ 3.42 and a GTX275 FTW. The main game I play gives me roughly 40-45 FPS. However I like to fraps a ton during combat and that drops my FPS a good 20-25 minimum...and in many cases makes the FPS a bit unplayable (fast turns or many players on screen etc).

I was planning on upgrading to the 5870 next week when they're released but am unsure if it will increase my performance while frapsing enough to warrant the $400 price tag. It is important for me to be able to keep my PCI sound card...so SLI/XFire is not an option. I never did care for dual card performance...really messes up the smoothness of recorded footage imo ;P

Should I stick with this GTX 275 FTW or go ahead with my planned purchase?

kohd

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009

I know it closely resembles (or greatly exeeds according to the AA/high res tests) the GTX 295...I guess what I am unsure of is how GPUs affect FPS while using programs like FRAPS. I'm wondering if the process of real-time recording is dependent more on the CPU, memory, or GPU.

xaira

Distinguished
cpu of corse, think of recording a tv show, will u c the gpu usage go up? no, ram and cpu are heavily utilised tho, unless the program ur using uses cuda or seam, but with fraps, when recording the cpu and ram are what is taxed

Gulli

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
Wait until next week, when there will be official benchmarks (we don't know if it's faster than the GTX295, because everyone who says that is basing their opinion on a rumor) and prices out.

kohd

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009

Very true, but regardless (for me at least) the 5870 would be a much better card since it's a single GPU, supposedly handles AA much better, and offers all X11 features. But yeah...I'd definitely wait for at least a few days when real comparisons are posted to make sure it's worth the money. Maybe even wait until the 300 series Nvidia come out ... should drop the ATI prices a little.

Sounds like I would better benefit from messing around with fraps settings and possibly OCing my CPU a bit more though =( If I can't get my desired FPS while recording by doing those two things...I'll most likely upgrade.