[SOLVED] Upgrade to a higher capacity M.2 SSD on my laptop ?

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
My HP 15-bs0xx laptop has a whopping 125GB M.2 2280 SSD drive. Without even trying I managed to use around 60% of the actual capacity. I want to upgrade to a 250GB drive. I've seen a couple different articles on how to do the swap but I'm not sure which is copacetic. The unit, in HP's infinite wisdom, does not have an optical drive. It's either network, microSD or USB dongle.

So, can I clone the existing SSD to a USB dongle and make it bootable and use it to populate the new M.2 SSD ? I have the recovery USB from HP (which those [CENSORED] people made me purchase).

Thank you.

Solution
There are external enclosures for M.2 SATA drives for sale. You can get one of that, clone your drive over, swap your M.2 drives, and use your existing one as a portable drive.

Be mindful that your computer's M.2 connectors apparently only supported M.2 SATA SSD.

Also be sure to read manuals, and use anti-static precautions around exposed electronics if you want to do it yourself.

JWNoctis

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021
There are external enclosures for M.2 SATA drives for sale. You can get one of that, clone your drive over, swap your M.2 drives, and use your existing one as a portable drive.

Be mindful that your computer's M.2 connectors apparently only supported M.2 SATA SSD.

Also be sure to read manuals, and use anti-static precautions around exposed electronics if you want to do it yourself.

Solution