Upgrade to a new GPU or go SLI? Galaxy GeForce GTX 670 (67NPH6DV5ZVX )

madperk

Reputable
Jan 30, 2015
My question is do I buy a second GPU or move up to a new video card all together? Do I need to consider a new Power Supply?

I have never run a SLI system I usually just rebuild every three or four years with a possible video upgrade in the middle of the life of the system.

I Built a PC based on recommendations from Q4 2012 and early Q1 2013, see specs below. The rig runs great but I am considering moving to a quad monitor system from a dual monitor system. The primary reason is that I would like to have a pano 3 monitor setup for the game Elite Dangerous. Every game, including ED, has run beautifully on this system. I can usually just take the default graphics settings which auto detect to high or ultra for most games and then tweak them a bit. On the spare monitor I usually have a full screen Sling Player window up with a ball game running or using the hdmi input and my chrome cast.

• MSI Computer Corporation LGA 1155 Intel Z77 SATA 6 Gb/s USB 3.0 3 PCI-E x16 3.0 ATX Motherboard Z77A-GD80
    Corsair Enthusiast Series TX 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80 PLUS Bronze (TX750)
    Corsair Vengeance 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3 1600 MHz PC3 12800 240-Pin DDR3 Dual Channel Memory Kit (CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9)
    OCZ Technology 256GB Vector Series SATA 6.0 GB/s 7 mm Height 2.5-Inch SSD with 100K IOPS And 5-Year Warranty- VTR1-25SAT3-256G
    Galaxy GeForce GTX 670 GC 2 GB GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 DVI/DVI/HDMI/DP SLI Ready Graphics Card, 67NPH6DV5ZVX Graphics Cards 67NPH6DV5ZVX
    Intel Core i7-3770K Quad-Core Processor 3.5 GHz 8 MB Cache LGA 1155 - BX80637I73770K
    Fractal Design Core 3000 Cases, Black (FD-CA-CORE-3000-BL)
    2 LG IPS LED 27EA63 Monitors

Solution
Corsair make good power supplies so you have plenty of life left in it, it should be able to handle two video cards at load - as long as the video cards don't exceed 300W each (they usually don't unless the video card is special).

from a performance point of view, two GTX 670 will be about as fast as a single GTX 780, maybe a little faster.
but SLI has other considerations:

- your computer will be using twice more power than a single card configuration both at idle and at load !
- you will have to deal with the many SLI problems, such as:
- diminished scaling (game runs slower than 200%)
- no SLI support in the game and therefor no scaling (running only at 100%)
- increased CPU dependence (the more videocards are in an SLI...

ManoaNosea

Reputable
Feb 3, 2015
Corsair make good power supplies so you have plenty of life left in it, it should be able to handle two video cards at load - as long as the video cards don't exceed 300W each (they usually don't unless the video card is special).

from a performance point of view, two GTX 670 will be about as fast as a single GTX 780, maybe a little faster.
but SLI has other considerations:

- your computer will be using twice more power than a single card configuration both at idle and at load !
- you will have to deal with the many SLI problems, such as:
- diminished scaling (game runs slower than 200%)
- no SLI support in the game and therefor no scaling (running only at 100%)
- increased CPU dependence (the more videocards are in an SLI configuration the more CPU cores are required)
- little or no changes in the minimum("bottom") framerate (due to increased CPU overhead for running an SLI system)
- stuttering

I am in the same boat, but I have a GTX 580 a much older card and I could have buyed an another GTX 580 for about 300$ with a built-in watercooling block, but then I realized I would need a new power supply which would cost me an another 350$, and then I also realized my system will be burning twice as much power and I would have to solve the many SLI problems, so I have chosen to buy a new video card (GTX 780 TI with some added performance) for about 900$ with integrated water cooling block and according to comparisons I have seen that single card is about 2.5x faster than a single 580 - so in the end I get more performance than I could ever get with a dual SLI 580, no SLI problems and a much cheaper power bills both at idle and load.

I should point out that the 900 series NVIDIA cards don't support windows xp, the 700 series do

Solution