Question Upgrade to AM5?

Jun 13, 2024
Hey, I'm wondering if I should upgrade to AM5 rather than my current setup having a 3700X and AM4 socket. I want to switch my GPU to something that implements the MESA standard like the AMD GPUs as I want to move from xorg into Wayland for the performance benefits for what I do. I'm wondering if I'll end up with a form of bottleneck and if I should just throw out the AM4 and just build a new PC. Thanks!

Reactions: artk2219
Jun 13, 2024
Switching to AM5 also means new memory. Is a new CPU, motherboard, and memory in your budget?

Other than possibly upgrading your GPU, is your current configuration not meeting your needs?
I mostly program and compile some heavy stuff in Rust etc. anything is "in my budget" but I haven't noticed my computer being lagish atm, it would mostly be for future proof if I decide to upgrade it.

Reactions: artk2219
Jun 13, 2024
The 5700X3D is still a great CPU. You can definitely use it for a few more years before it becomes obsolete.

I would suggest you to wait for the next gen Radeon cards for the GPU.
I have a 850W PSU and my 3700X has a 65W TDP. I don't want to screw myself, I will also have an AMD GPU that hopefully has a lower TDP to my RTX 2070S

TRENDING THREADS