Question Upgrade to an M.2 SSD on my desktop PC ?

wogfor

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2016
Hi!
My current system is an Asus Prime X470 Pro motherboard with an AMD Ryzen 5 2600X processor. My main drive is a Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5 inch drive. I originally built the system with a Crucial BX200 with a 240GB capacity, but then upgraded to the MX500 as the first drive didn't offer a lot of room for many games, plus the newer drive is a better performer.

On to my question: The Asus motherboard has a couple of slots for M.2 drives including one that has a heatsink, I would like to upgrade my main drive to an M.2 in the range of a 2TB drive, Now I have never worked with M.2 drives, so I'm looking for a recommendation for one, hopefully one that won't break the bank. Crucial drives are fine for me as I have used them in other systems but suggestions are welcome. Also how different is it to clone the old drive to the M.2?
I've cloned HDD's to HDD's, HDD's to SSD's, and of course cloned the SSD's. I would assume this wouldn't be too different. I think I used the Macrium? software before.

Thanks

Hi!
My current system is an Asus Prime X470 Pro motherboard with an AMD Ryzen 5 2600X processor. My main drive is a Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5 inch drive. I originally built the system with a Crucial BX200 with a 240GB capacity, but then upgraded to the MX500 as the first drive didn't offer a lot of room for many games, plus the newer drive is a better performer.

On to my question: The Asus motherboard has a couple of slots for M.2 drives including one that has a heatsink, I would like to upgrade my main drive to an M.2 in the range of a 2TB drive, Now I have never worked with M.2 drives, so I'm looking for a recommendation for one, hopefully one that won't break the bank. Crucial drives are fine for me as I have used them in other systems but suggestions are welcome. Also how different is it to clone the old drive to the M.2? I've cloned HDD's to HDD's, HDD's to SSD's, and of course cloned the SSD's. I would assume this wouldn't be too different. I think I used the Macrium? software before.

Thanks
I have that MB. I also have 5 x M.2 NVMe and one SATA M.2 SSD.
M.2_1 slot runs of CPU and it's 4 PCIe lanes at version 3/gen3 which allows NVMe speeds up to about 3500/3500. In it I have a Samsung 970 Evo plus 500GB SSD running at 3560/3400 read/write.
M.2_2 also has 4 lines but getting PCIe lines from chipset it anly runs at PCIe ver2 and that halves the NVMe speed to about 1500/1500. Still fast enough to scarcely see any difference.
In PCIe_2 x16 slot I have and PCIe to NVMe adapter with Samsung 960 , 250GB which was previously In M.2_1 slot. My GPU is PCIe x8 so that leaves another 4 PCIe lines (other 4 are used by M.2_1 slot) and also lets it run at full NVMe speed although a tad slower than 970 because it is actually a bit slower anyway.
In PCIe_16 slot I have a dual M.2 to PCIe adapter with one NVMe 2TB SSD. Being an ver2 slot it also runs NVMe drive at half it's nominal speed but still (1500/1500) much faster than any SATA 2.5" SSD.
Second M.2 SSD in same adapter is SATA and needs a data cable to SATA port but foregoes power cable. Works at normal (540/540) SATA sped.
Hope that helps.
Mike.

Hi!

On to my question: The Asus motherboard has a couple of slots for M.2 drives including one that has a heatsink, I would like to upgrade my main drive to an M.2 in the range of a 2TB drive, Now I have never worked with M.2 drives, so I'm looking for a recommendation for one, hopefully one that won't break the bank. Crucial drives are fine for me as I have used them in other systems but suggestions are welcome. Also how different is it to clone the old drive to the M.2?
I've cloned HDD's to HDD's, HDD's to SSD's, and of course cloned the SSD's. I would assume this wouldn't be too different. I think I used the Macrium? software before.

Thanks
Nothing wrong with going the m.2 route just don't get benchmark numbers dancing in your eyeballs and expecting a perf bump.

The clone should not be any different than what you have already done.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hi!

Thanks
This one is still hard to beat.

Reactions: CountMike

wogfor

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2016
Nothing wrong with going the m.2 route just don't get benchmark numbers dancing in your eyeballs and expecting a perf bump.

The clone should not be any different than what you have already done.
Not expecting a huge performance boost, I know my system is a bit outdated by today's standards. I figure it's got to give a bit faster loading times for my games and the increase in size would let me migrate a few more games from a spinning drive to this one, plus I have to admit I have been dying to do a bit of upgrading to my system even if minor. I thought about an M.2 drive when I upgraded to the 2600X but these drives were still a bit pricey at that time period. I settled for the Crucial BX200 at the time because it was the least expensive SSD Microcenter had to offer during that time. I was on a budget and only moved on the upgrade as they were closing out the 2600X's for $79 at the time.

I also think about the fact that this board does have a second M.2 slot. Hmmmmm!:unsure:
Maybe 2 drives....?;)

Last edited:
Not expecting a huge performance boost, I know my system is a bit outdated by today's standards. I figure it's got to give a bit faster loading times for my games and the increase in size would let me migrate a few more games from a spinning drive to this one, plus I have to admit I have been dying to do a bit of upgrading to my system even if minor. I thought about an M.2 drive when I upgraded to the 2600X but these drives were still a bit pricey at that time period. I settled for the Crucial BX200 at the time because it was the least expensive SSD Microcenter had to offer during that time. I was on a budget and only moved on the upgrade as they were closing out the 2600X's for $79 at the time.

I also think about the fact that this board does have a second M.2 slot. Hmmmmm!:unsure:
Maybe 2 drives....?;)
Prices of M2.NVMe and 2.5"SATA SSDs are practically equal within same class and capacity while still much faster (less important) but also helluva more convenient having no cables that often cause problems and very much smaller space they take simplifying everything.
Actually, speed does count in some cases, faster the drive is, less load it presents to rest of system and for shorter time and so minimize hiccups and short stops or slowdowns. That is specially evident with marginal systems.

I have found the samsung ssd migration aid to be my go to system for upgrading ssd devices.
App and instructions here:
The target needs to be a supported Samsung ssd like a 2tb m.2 samsung 970 EVO +
Cost per gb for m.2 is similar to 2.5" devices.
Unless the device is gen 5, there is no need for a heat sink.
But, since you have one, go ahead and use it.
A m.2 device only heats up under prolonged sequential operations.
Even then,not harm is done, it just temporarily slows down.
The aid is a logical C drive mover, not a bit for bit clone.
Install the new ssd in the m.2 slot.
Run the migration aid. It may take a few hours so be patient.
Extra free space is automatically added.
When done, disconnect the original C drive to verify that all is well.
Later, you can do what you wish with the old C drive.