Upgrade to G-Sync or upgrade PC?

Jul 4, 2018
I am wondering what would be more beneficial for me to upgrade at this point. I don't really play FPS games, maybe once in a while but not much online. I play mainly like ROTR, GTA 5 single player, Fallout 4, etc. What i have a problem with is stuttering. I prefer higher graphics settings. My monitor is a 27" Samsung SyncMaster SA350 so it is 60Hz and i have to have V-Sync enabled or i get screen tearing. I just like smooth gameplay with good graphics and no tearing. My computer specs is a Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 mobo, 12GB 1333 DDR3 RAM, i5-3570K CPU (4.3Ghz), EVGA 600W PSU, and a GTX 1070 TI. I can upgrade to a Z370 board and an i5-8600K with 16GB DDR4 RAM for about the same as a 27" G-Sync monitor but i can't afford to do both. I am thinking i might want to get into VR at some point in the future as the prices are getting better and there are more and more games but not sure if the 3570k can handle it. I am also not sure that if i upgrade to the 8600k if it will eliminate (or at least reduce to very little) the stuttering with V-Sync from my minimums dropping below 60FPS.

Solution
Well....the way I understand GSync....is it's not going to increase your FPS at all. It just adapts to whatever fps your GPU is outputting.

So, if you want faster fps (smoother gameplay)....I'd be upgrading the other hardware.

2sidedpolygon

Prominent
Jul 1, 2018

If you're not playing FPS games, latency shouldn't be a big issue, and V-Sync will probably suffice. That CPU is pretty dated, so I'd recommend the second upgrade you're considering, and get a better monitor down the line.

TRENDING THREADS