Upgrade to i5-2500k from i5-2500

May 28, 2018
Hey guys I have an old i5 2500 and wanted to know if it's worth grabbing the k variant. Have been keeping up to date with cpu news so not sure if I
Should just wait. I've got a gtx 970 powering my rig and thought that I could just buy the k variant and overclock it to bide me some more time.

Cheers

Solution
You will also need a z68/z77 motherboard. If you are going to upgrade the CPU on such an old platform, you may want to look for an i7-2600k/3770k instead to at least get the extra benefit of HT.

With both Intel and AMD making 4C4T the new $100-130 CPU low-end, the days of 4C4T being a credible option for mainstream gaming could be numbered. Overclocking an i5-2500k/2550k won't necessarily buy you that much extra time depending on what you are going to do with it.

Unless you can get your replacement CPU for very cheap or free, I'd just toss that $50 or however much you were planning to spend in the savings pile for an i5-8400 or better.

InvalidError

Titan
You will also need a z68/z77 motherboard. If you are going to upgrade the CPU on such an old platform, you may want to look for an i7-2600k/3770k instead to at least get the extra benefit of HT.

With both Intel and AMD making 4C4T the new $100-130 CPU low-end, the days of 4C4T being a credible option for mainstream gaming could be numbered. Overclocking an i5-2500k/2550k won't necessarily buy you that much extra time depending on what you are going to do with it.

Unless you can get your replacement CPU for very cheap or free, I'd just toss that $50 or however much you were planning to spend in the savings pile for an i5-8400 or better.

Solution
I wouldn't bother. Don't forget the non k cpus had a limited oc feature. You can get to 4.1ghz with multi alone if your mobo allows ocing. Don't forget the other chipsets that can oc: p67, z68, z75, z77. Sb and ib k cpus are still going for $100+ so it's not worth it at all. Save your money for a new cpu, mobo and ram.

May 28, 2018

Fair enough, i specialize in 3d programs and video editing now and then but mainly gaming. I'll string it out until i can get a newer CPU!